Hydro vs Belt driven 34-36" w/b....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Grzube, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

We are looking to change our set up slightly, we run mostly 44-48" zrt's and some 21" toro pro lines, and we've had this Cub Cadet cc760 33" since 2007 with 700+ hrs on it. The deck has been repaired, a weak drive lever(repaired 3 times) cables breaking every 150-200 hrs, mind you it's not a commercial grade mower. Now looking to buy x2 34-36" walk behind mowers, hydro's starting at $4000+ and belt driven with a 7 gauge deck $1750+. What are your experiences with your mowers and how many hrs do you have & how much $ in repairs, thanks!:canadaflag:

2. ralph02813

ralph02813 LawnSite Bronze Member

36 ferris hydro: oil and filter and air filter (40 hrs) ,blades (10hours) , fuel filter 350 hours that is it so far.

3. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Down here we have, Gravely, John Deere, Toro that have dealers that are close to our region. Slightly further away are, Bob Cat, Exmark, Ferris.

4. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Any ideas on those 'BETTER" mowers? Thanks

5. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

I have had all kinds of belt drives. If these are going to be mowers used by employees I would stick with a name brand belt drive. I have looked at those better built mowers they are ok but with an operation being done with true employees and not shareholders they will not last. I wouldn't waste my money on a small hydro to heavy to much to go wrong. Get a true velke that will turn around when you step off to back up and not a piece that only goes 90 degrees like a JJ bradley that has to be hung up to walk backwards.

6. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

Alot of guys down here run Toro and Gravely. I've seen quite a few guys with the Gravely belt driven mower, and more Toro hydro's. I can buy x2 belt driven mowers for the price of a hydro, and the deck construction is 7 gauge, now the drive system of a belt driven mower, well they should last for 1000 hrs i suspect. But don't get me wrong, if a hyro is going to last twice as long as a belt driven one, well hydro is the way to go.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You can replace the whole belt drive system in 2 hours for less than what one hydro pump replacement will cost. If a wheel motor goes bad you need a complete whole new system most of the time. If something goes bad on the belt drive usually an employee with common sense can repair it in the field.

8. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

We have a 33" cub cadet with 700+ hrs cc760 model, now moving to a commercial w/b, the construction of the complete mower should be 50% stronger, thus saying I should get 1500 + hrs no prob.

9. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

you should get well over 1500 hours on a belt drive walk behind

10. Grzube

Grzube LawnSite Member

I'd like to know any makes and models with the amount of hrs on them.