Hydro vs Belt

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joeg2246, Nov 20, 2004.

1. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I would like to get a little more insight on the advantage of Hydro walkbehinds vs Beltdriven walkbehinds. I have one of each and have an idea of which one I like best but would like some other professionals opinions.
    Joe

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

joe--you are the perfect expert to tell US what you think! SPEAK JOE!

GEO :)

3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro's runs the same in all weather conditions plus no trans or gear lever.

no slippage. Wet out forget the belts. Take your belt on a hill and see.

4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, since you have both, you should be able to give us some good advice.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

hydros are great on hills, in wet conditions, can stop on a dime and back up so quickly compared to belts, you don't have to replace brake pads, I believe they go faster, don't have to shift into different gears, and you don't have to part tension on a hydro compared to a belt.

6. bettergrass

bettergrass LawnSite Member

hydro is def the way to go if you can afford it. you make back the extra money you spend on a hydro on the man hours you save. who honestly wants to switch gears everytime they need to reverse.

also for me when i had a gear wb, i had to basically map out how i was going to mow each lawn before i got there, because i really tryed to avoid reversing

last thing, its so much easier to get stuck imbetween a fence or some other type of pita obstical with a gear as you cant react as quick as you can with a hydro

7. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

Depends how soon you want to get C.T.S (carpal tunnel syndrome). Belt drive will get you there about 3x faster than hydroes!

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

hydro is the only way to go. they only make belt drives becuase some consumers demand a cheaper mower.

9. joeg2246

joeg2246 LawnSite Member

I have a 1995 belt drive Encore and a 2002 36" Bunton Hydro with floating deck. The old mower has probably 600 hrs on it and the new one has about 90. I just got the Bunton from a friend who went and bought a rider. At this point I like my old Encore due to the tires don't skid on braking and on turnaround the wheels don't spin on takeoff. I am not sure if the new mower is out of adjustment or I am just not used to it yet.
    As far as backing up my Encore, it is alot lighter than the Bunton and I am 6'2" 230lbs so there was never any need to use reverse.
    As far as the carpal tunnel syndrome the belt drive levers were very light to the touch and there was never any need to use them while going in a staight line or a circular pattern I just manuvered like a regular pushmower. The Bunton seems to be much more difficult to engage the hydraulics. Not that bad but it is more difficult.
    I am tearing up grass with the Bunton and I don't like the looks of the the areas where it skids and spins.
    Help me out guys is there something wrong with my newer mower or is that just the way they are.

10. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Belt drives are low priced entry level mowers and are good for back up to other mowers. Hydros are the workhorse mowers and are far more efficient.