Hydro vs. belts

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Lech615, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

Is there a big difference between the striping ability of a 36" wb with a hydro and 36" wb belt driven?:rolleyes:

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lech615,

None, depending upon the lawn. If you compare a floating deck to a floating deck and a fixed deck to a fixed deck there should be minimal difference. The only thing you might see is a different stripe from the drive tires.

Good question, thanks

Terry

3. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

Thanks Terry,

Looks like I will be buying a new 36" wb belt driven then.

Thanks,

Carl

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 36" belt drive fixed deck and love it. Does some nice stripes. Very durable machine.

5. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

How much does a 36" belt driven weigh?

6. eXmark

Lech615,

The Metro 36" (fixed deck) weighs approximately 417 lbs. The Metro HP 36" (floating deck) weighs approximately 100 lbs. more.

Terry

7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Lech615

Let me get this straight. You are curious if there is a difference in the striping between the two mowers(hydro or belt). Since there is little to no difference you are choosing the less expensive one.

The hydro or belt drive deals with the drive system not cut. The hydro costs more but it is more time efficient. It offers instant reverse. I would suggest demoing the two before deciding. Another thing to consider is Will this be your main mower?, or just used in back yards. If this is your main mower it may be more beneficial to spend the extra money on the hydro.

Using double blades will help with the striping. I use them on my 36".

8. Lech615

Lech615 LawnSite Member

Beck,

I had already decided to buy the 36" belt before I ask the question. I was just curious if hydro had any effect on the stripe. Now I know it does not. As for the mower it will be my main one for now. I am just starting and hope to get enough biz by mid summer that I will then buy a 48" or larger hydro. Since I am just starting, i am tryin to not over spend, but but quality, hence the new exmark. The $1000 diff. in price bewteen hydro & and belt just does not seem reasonable for main mower now, back up mower later (summer).

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What's the least expensive 32" WB that Exmark makes and how much. I went to the website and as far as I can tell, it's the Viking Hydro with 15hp Kohler. Is this correct?

MATT

10. eXmark

Walker-talker,

We offer two 32" models, the Metro belt drive with a 12.5 hp Kaw, pistol grips at $2299 and the Viking hydro with a 15 hp Kohler, ECS controls at $3799. The pricing I've given is our "suggested commercial sale price". For actual pricing information you would need to contact your local dealer.

Thanks

Terry