Hydro vs. Gear

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by climber, May 1, 2007.

1. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Is the hydro pistol grip as hard as a gear pistol grip to control? I mean is it as hard to sqeeze to get the mower to turn? Because Ive used the gear and I know there a pain but is the hydro as hard or are they easy. Because I would consider a hydro pistol grip but I would really like the ztr steer. I know the ztr controls a so simple even with the gear....

Thanks
    Dan

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I personly would say, NO....Not even close, I've had both, the hydro pistol grips don't bother me at all, and yet the gear drive had my forarms damn near numb from over use. I know some would say they don't like pistols, but I would by another one.

3. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto- had both, run both-hydro is way easier. If not, something is wrong. also, way more traction on hydro's, no loss of traction because of belts getting wet. and finally, backing up by squeezing both handles at the same time- great for backing up or saving time on mowing under stuff.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I guess Scag must work different than other mowers because it takes more force to handle the hydro than belt On belt you don't need to hold the handles at all if the unit is tracking(only to turn) but on hydro you have to keep a grip on it all the time ?

5. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Thanks I thought it would be easier... Anyone else?

Dan

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I think my belt drive exmark (pistol grip) requires a bit less pressure then my pistol grip bobcat hydro wb. Theres not a big difference but there is a slight difference IMO.

7. qualitylawnlc

qualitylawnlc LawnSite Member

My eXmark 48" gear drive wb has the ECS controls instead of the pistol grips. I have it set on the middle tension setting and it pulls me on my jungle wheels just fine and the controls are very comfortable.

8. M&SLawnCare

M&SLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36" exmark with the ECS instead of pistols. If i had to do it over i'ld go with hydro without a doubt. I just set it to the max tension setting(last night as a matter of fact) since i use a sulky and often bag (that bagger must weigh 80 lbs loaded) and was having problems with the belt slipping before, expecually on the bagger side. Slips less but still not perfect, and i think i might just go back to the middle setting. Arms are drained after using it for about 7 hours today.

9. NittanyLawncare

NittanyLawncare LawnSite Member

I used a Scag before as well and not having to hold the grips all the time is nice, disengaging the belts took very little effort, really a pretty nice system. I use a Toro now and the T-Bar is pretty good, albeit it takes some getting used to. Both mowers were belt driven and I never had a problem with either slipping, but I do replace belts when they are fairly worn. If I push the T-bar forward with normal pressure it will jump the front end off the ground and squeal the tires. I've tried the hydro's and they are pretty nice, but belts seem to have a smoother take-off, hydraulic drives seem to be a bit too jumpy, my own opinion of course.