Hydro vs. Regular ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Right now I am mowing 25 lawns a week with a John Deere 120. :( I am ready to buy a walk behind possbily a John Deere GS45 or GS 75. Those are the regular walk behinds or should I go hydro? Not sure on what is better?

2. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude, you're about to get 50 votes for hydro. I've got both and there's no comparison whatsoever. Hydro walk behinds will go anywhere. Much easier to maneuver and use. Less fatigue on the operator.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I too have both belt and hydro...without a doubt go with the hydro

4. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I had a t -bar Toro belt drive and traded it for a Exmark hydro. The Toro only had about 10 hours on it and was a good mower. I have used the hydro about 15 minutes and agree Gr Grass, no comparison. I have a Walker and am use to the control of a hydro.

5. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

Thanks for the response. Now I hear differences opinions about snappers, john deeres and bobcats? What do you guys think would be a better longer lasting 36 inch hydro?

6. Cheesedawg1

from NJ

What is a better deal for a hydro for a 36 inch walk behind? Would a Deere Snapper or Boncat give a better deal on hydro's? What about horse powers 14hp or 17hp? Its like 800 more for an upgrade from 14 hp to 17 on deeres. Is it worth it?

7. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

I think most folks here would tell you to go for the higher hp if you can afford it regardless of the mower make you settle on, especially if you are going to be riding a sulky behind the mower.

As for mower makes.........I think LGF hit the nail on the head not long ago in a thread similar to this when he suggested to a guy "you have a lot of reading to do." Use the search feature on here where much information can be had on mower opinion.

8. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

Cheese,
    I used my Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36", 15hp Kawasaki, today for the first time, Man what a difference in this and the Toro fixed deck 36", 12.5 hp. belt drive.

No one could have convinced me there was that much difference.
    Day and night. If there is any way $$$, go hydro. I chose Exmark because of there reputation and the local dealer.

I lost about $700.00 on the belt Toro, but after really using the Exmark, it is all forgotten.

9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

dude, you need to go hydro and stay away from Deere. Their machines dont get enough lift from their decks to get a high quality cut that eXmarks are know for. If you want to become really productive, look at a Wright Stander...awesome machine. In closing, dont buy a John Deere.

10. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

Hi there,

I'm about to trade my gs45 for a Hd45. I find that with the belt drive I get a lot of slip in the wet weather or even just wet grass plus, it only has a reverse assistants, meaning you can put it in reverse but then you have to pull it physically to get out of a spot. I know MacLawnCo doesn't like John Deere, but I love mine. I got a mulch kit put on there and have no problems with an awesome cut. I have put it through some long grass too. It even shaved off a piece of concrete step, (didn't know what I was doing when I first got it), and there was no damaged to the mower or the blade. Lucky enough I was trying it out on my own property. But I would really go Hydro. as for HP. I'm sticking with the 14hp. It's all I need really, and like I said, it cut's long St. Augustine or Bahia grass that I have put it through anyway.

hope this helps

Steve