Hydro W/B??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by F Y P M, Jan 25, 2008.

1. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Seems like everything I read here all you guys prefer hydro W/B's. I was just wondering the reasons?:confused:

2. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Instant reverse, turns easier, easier on your hands and body, less turf damage

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

you can cut when its wet out. with our Lesco belt drives if it was wet out, turning was not an option or even going foward. the belts would just slip. like tadams said, hydros have instant reverse and thats a great feature. causes less user fatique to operate and a lot less turf damage.

4. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Okay I appreciate your opinions. Seems to me though makes no sense. Quickie mowers which everybody seems to love have single hydro there goes turning(let alone an entry level machine), reverse is used very very minimal at best if you know how to mow, also less turf damage I don't understand. If you keep your belts adjusted you'll never slip and if you do you probably shouldn't be mowing!!

5. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I've never used a single hydro mower so I can't comment on those. We use reverse every time we take the mower off the truck- you could pull it but that gets old fast.We have lots of trees that have limbs that hang down. On these we use the WB to go in and out (towards the trunk) to mow the grass around it. On a hydro you can reverse one wheel while the other goes forward (just like a ZTR) this keeps the both tires moving so you do not create a divot in the grass. On a belt drive that tire will lock up- if you are good you can leave it just barely spinning forward but this is very hard to do- and very hard to train someone else to do. You end up man-handling the machine instead of operating the machine smoothly and efficiently. I am comparing an Exmark TTHP to a metro. Now don't get me wrong- the metro is a great mower but it is just not as easy to use as the TTHP. Have you demoed both a belt and a hydro? Some people love belts and some hate them.

6. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

For your info what he was saying was if its raining or the dew is heavy and tires throw water on the drive belts they would slip, its not about keeping the belts adjusted or its not about not knowing how to mow sometimes you get caught in a rain storm and need to finish the lawn

7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I prefer the belted wb mainly for the price and cheaper reapair over life of mower but when it rains and you have to finish a lawn they do slip and are about useless

8. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I prefer the belted wb mainly for the price and cheaper repair over life of mower but when it rains and you have to finish a lawn they do slip and are about useless

9. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I've been mowing for 14+ years and will tell you that if you are using reverse your wasting time, use the trimmer to go around trees etc. If you have your belts adjusted( takes 5 min at most 1x a week) you will never slip that you can't operate mower!! I have used both and would prefer the hydro if it was a matter of a few dollars but it is quite a bit more and maintenance is far more(replace a hydro pump and or a wheel motor) I just can't justify the extra expense.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry, but there are times when reverse is necessary. One of my back lawns has a 30-40ft stretch running beside here house with a privacy fence on the other side, it is probably 40-55" wide. I have to go all the way down and back all the way back out because I can't turn and I am using a 21 on this property. So if I was using anything bigger, I would definitely want the reverse feature. Way too much grass to try to trim down.