Hydro walk behind control systems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brucec32, Mar 23, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

One thing I noted about pistol grip hydros is that you use a speed control lever or two to control forward speed. Is this a pain or do you usually just leave it at the fastest speed you mow at?

Also, why do some have two levers and others just one?

I hear lots about the cons of pistol grips. What are the pros?

Finally, do the Ferris mowers (dual and single hydro) both use thumb controled speed and neutral, or do they also use neutral thumb locks?

Just curious about the various technologies out there.

2. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Feris DD have a single stick that controls the speed. It also has a foot petal down on the right side of the engine deck that once stepped on, will return the speed level to neutral. Real nice feature IMO.

The twin speed levers will each control one wheel, so that will either make it dificult or easy to adjust tracking, depending on how lucky you are. The single just controls both wheels speed.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, correct again Bruce.....If you bought a Hustler you'd have none of the problems or questions you continue to ask about other WB's............What's the problem??? Do you just like reading your own posts, you do just want to buy a mower that's not as good as a Hustler so you can complain about it?????
    Pete

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Pete, you have all the fervor of a religious fanatic when it comes to Hustler walk behinds. But please, quit prothletizing, I'm not going to buy one now. I need a cheap backup wide area mower, not a $5700 fully equipped (w/ mulch kit, bagger, castering sulky, local prices here) one to use all day, every day. I would prefer a belt drive over a hydro with pistol grips because of my hands, so I'm not shopping for them, I'm just asking about them.

I was asking the questions because like I said, I'm just curious about the various technologies out there and why some people continue to buy and be happy with their "inferior" technologies. Some people just like to learn about stuff.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you set the lever/levers at the speed you want to mow at. Just like picking a gear on a gear drive.

Some have a separate lever to control the speed of each side. this is To help keep the machine going straight. If it pulls to the left push the left lever forward (lesco, ??). Some have ONe lever that you can also mover from side to side to make the machine track left or right (Snapper) Some have a knob somewhere you turn left or right to make the machine track left or right. (Exnark, Scag, etc..) I believe that pete even put a stop of some sort on his hustler?

ONe of the pros of Pistol grips no mater what the grip angle is if it is tracking straight all you have to do is hang on to go. no input needed until turning.

But I am still waiting for a Hustler demo to compare.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We just leave it all the way up and go like h***. Pros of pistol grips? My forearms are almost as large as my biceps.. other 1/2 likes it:D

7. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Bruce, it's no skin off my nose if you don't buy the better machine. I just don't understand the logic. Why buy a cheaper less productive piece of equipment that costs you money every time you use it, instead of buying the more productive machine and increase your profit. Heck, everyone buy's the best backpack blower they can, because it's more productive. Everyone buy's a good weed whacker, because it's more productive. So, why not apply the same logic to your WB. When I went from my Belt drive to the Hydro Hustler, I increased my productivity by $10/hour. And, in less than a season I had made up the difference in price.
    Pete

8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I have an Exmark Viking 32". It is a hydro with one speed control. It also has a tracking adjustment to keep it going straight. I have it with the ECS controls.