hydro walk behind handles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnsRUsInc., Mar 11, 2003.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have never had a hydro walk behind nor used one i am in the market to replace and add more walk behinds to my arsenal. I was wondering what handles/steering systems you guys liked? I have scag and toro now, i enjoy the T-bar setup but i was leaning toward ferris. (have ferris Z's) Please help me see your opinions for i am trying to get ready for the fast approaching season.
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Check out Gravely's new Pro-Steer for belt drives. Then for hydro's I'd try out the Great Dane Scamper, Snapper Pro Hydro and I think Bunton has new controls on theirs.

Husqvarna & eXmark have new style controls that are nicer but still use the pistol grip way of controlling the machine. Some will argue that the eXmark controls are no good for lifting the front of the machine over curbs. But I have tried them and anyone who can't use them to raise the front is a total WUSSY! But i still don't care for either style of pistol grip much. Just personal preference.
  3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of handles are you looking for?I assume you're looking at the pistol grips because that's all that Ferris has. I personally like the pistol grips even if I get a milder case of Carpal Tunnel. I've tried the controls on the Great Dane Scamper and they were pretty nice and great on hills but I'm gonna stick to my pistol grips on my Scag hydro for now. Good Luck with your pick.
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I like eXmark's ECS system, and I've never tried them but Gravely's new set up looks comfy.
  5. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Simply click on the Hustler link at the top of the page... Check 'em out... especially the new super walk behinds with 23+ hp and dual exhaust with extra large rear tires...

Good Luck, Clay

I also like the hydro t-bar, but toro is behind the curve as far as power on their t-bar walk behinds...
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I like Exmark's ECS. It's awesome for hydro. If you've never run a hydro before, the difference is phenomenal. Put it in gear let it run forward, pull the sticks back until the machine slows to a halt, then keep pulling back untill the machine begins to move in reverse. I'd take a look at Exmark, or Gravely. Their new handles look pretty nice as well.
  7. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

I love my tbar toros
  8. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I find that the new Gravely setup is quite nice to use. Just find one that is comfortable for you. What one person finds to be the best isn't always going to be the best for you.

9. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I can't comment on the T-Bars or on gravely's new stuff, cause I haven't run them.

BUT I can tell you I used to have no problem with my SCAG with the standard pisol grips, UNTIL I came into this business a couple years back as an employee. I ran a hydro SCAG all the time, and my hands and wrists killed me at the end of the day!

When I went out on my own.... the first thing I did was shop the Exmark w/ECS. (Decided on Lazer Z HP instead, but that's a different story).

Just my opinion, but I won't buy another WB with std. pistol grips!
  10. Bruceslc

Bruceslc LawnSite Member
    from 6

Hustler is the way to go, I've tried others and hustler is far less taxing on you.:p