1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

HYDRO WALK BEHIND MOWERS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jcanada, Apr 5, 2000.

1. jcanada

jcanada Guest

I HAVE ONLY USED GEAR DRIVEN WALK BEHINDS. I AM CURIOUS IF YOU GUYS PREFER HYDRO OR GEAR DRIVEN. WHY DO YOU LIKE ONE MORE THAN THE OYHER? HOW DO THE HYDROS WORK (HOW DO YOU SELECT SPEED, ETC)? THANK YOU.

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I have never in my life used a belt machine, but what I like about the hydro is, instant reverse, and you can run thru a lake and the drive is not going to slip on you. <p>I presently use a Turf Tracer Hydro, and have a John Deere as backup. The JD uses wet disk clutches and a gearbox instead of belts.<p>Bill

3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

In my opinoin hydro is worth the extra cost.We bought last season a 14hp dual hydro 36'' cut scag.We use our scag to get in through the gates that our walker can't.Usually in the back yards there is limited space so that means we don't have to be constantly putting it in and out of gear.When we are not doing that we are cutting hills with it.Cutting hills with a belt is not an option.PLUS we even put a blade on it in the winter and plow driveways with it.We use a walker with it so it will plow the snow into large strips and our walker follows and blows it away.We would make 1/3 the money if we owned a belt drive.Don't let the extra cost fool you!!!!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

A gear/belt drive have a lower cost to aquire.<p>Hydro's have all other advantages including lower operating costs, increased production, wider window of operation and improved reliability.

5. jcanada

jcanada Guest

Thank you for the replies. My question is how do you adjust the speed on a hydro unit? The gear driven mower that I use now has 4 forward speeds and no reverse. The 4 speeds offer a good range of speeds and it is easy to change gears (or speed). So is it easy to adjust the speed on a hydro unit? Thank you.

6. Lazer

A hydro has infinite speed settings. You can adjust on the go with the lever or do so with the pistol grips. <p>I could be wrong, but I doubt anybody has ever owned a hydro and went back to a belt drive.

7. Alan

Alan Member

Current technology being what it is, the hydro has it all over a belt drive machine. Initial cost is higher, after that the hydro wins hands down,, and as someone said, infinite speed settings, on the fly

8. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

im sorry guys but i have used hydro walk behinds and cannot justify the 1500 dollars more for one over a belt drive.... my z master is my main mower and i only use my 36 gravely for gated yrds and steep hills. hydros are convenient but i dont see how they save time.....

9. Lazer

Evan, they might not save time on a 36&quot; that you're walking behind. <p>But I'll tell you what: on most properties our 60&quot; Hydro WB w/ sulkies will outcut our 60&quot; ZTR's.

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

lazer how can that be? a walkbehind cannot ride nearly as fast as a ztr?