Lawn Care Forum banner

HYDRO WALK BEHIND MOWERS

8K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Keith 
G
#1 ·
I HAVE ONLY USED GEAR DRIVEN WALK BEHINDS. I AM CURIOUS IF YOU GUYS PREFER HYDRO OR GEAR DRIVEN. WHY DO YOU LIKE ONE MORE THAN THE OYHER? HOW DO THE HYDROS WORK (HOW DO YOU SELECT SPEED, ETC)? THANK YOU.

#2 ·
I have never in my life used a belt machine, but what I like about the hydro is, instant reverse, and you can run thru a lake and the drive is not going to slip on you.

I presently use a Turf Tracer Hydro, and have a John Deere as backup. The JD uses wet disk clutches and a gearbox instead of belts.

Bill

#3 ·
In my opinoin hydro is worth the extra cost.We bought last season a 14hp dual hydro 36'' cut scag.We use our scag to get in through the gates that our walker can't.Usually in the back yards there is limited space so that means we don't have to be constantly putting it in and out of gear.When we are not doing that we are cutting hills with it.Cutting hills with a belt is not an option.PLUS we even put a blade on it in the winter and plow driveways with it.We use a walker with it so it will plow the snow into large strips and our walker follows and blows it away.We would make 1/3 the money if we owned a belt drive.Don't let the extra cost fool you!!!!

AB Lawn Care

G
#5 ·
Thank you for the replies. My question is how do you adjust the speed on a hydro unit? The gear driven mower that I use now has 4 forward speeds and no reverse. The 4 speeds offer a good range of speeds and it is easy to change gears (or speed). So is it easy to adjust the speed on a hydro unit? Thank you.

#8 ·
im sorry guys but i have used hydro walk behinds and cannot justify the 1500 dollars more for one over a belt drive.... my z master is my main mower and i only use my 36 gravely for gated yrds and steep hills. hydros are convenient but i dont see how they save time.....

G
#12 ·
Thank you for all the info. Now a couple more questions for you. What do you guys prefer, pistol grip or lever speed control? Why do you like one more than the other? Do you have a choice when buying most mowers between one or the other or do certain brands of mowers only come a certain way?

#14 ·
We use both a belt drive JD and a hydro Scag.
The Scag will out cut the JD 3:1. If you have a wide open space to mow there is not difference. If you are mowing around shrubs, trees, sidewalks and other natural obstructions the reverse on command can't be beaten. I have a lever speed control on both and like it. Would like a pistol grip better.

#15 ·
I don't have a hydro yet but it's in the cards. all the reasons listed above are valid except for one.

someone wrote: "Cutting hills with a belt is not an option".

this is a ludicrous statement. I can mow any hill with my belt drive that a hydro can mow. I do it all the time. good luck.

GEO

#19 ·
its very possible but not too easy! these are hills you cant even walk up there so dam steep! i have to use all my body strenth to keep the mower on the hill....ive had many instances wheere it looses traction and slipd down sideways down the hill....my heart just about stops beating! i am just way to spoiled by my ztr that i hate using my walkbehind let alone a 21inch push mower.. that is the reason why i use the 36 on very steep hills..... when the 85 degree hills come along is when i weed wack thwe whole thing!

#24 ·
thanks evan528 for the confirmation that belt drives can cut hills. I wont hazzard a guess what degree steepness that I can cut but if I can't cut it with my machine, there isn't a hydro out there that can either.

gravity is just that. the same gravity that sucks my LESCO down the hill will suck any exmark, toro, JD, ...you name it, maybe even quicker.

all of us need to be careful on hills!!!

GEO

#25 ·
I'd like to see a walkbehind on some of the hills I've mowed with my Ferris IS/Z. I thought of the conversation when some of you joked about chaining a goat to a hill. <p>I love my walkbehind, but it can't hold a candle to hillside operation of my Z. There are a few things it does really well and hillsides is one of them. I've been on 45 degree slopes and had no problems, other than feeling like I was defying gravity. My grandfather's property has a hill that is probably around 60 degrees, but I would never let anything go down it that I wanted to come back up. I think some of the estimates I've heard are incorrect, at best.

<p>John

#26 ·
retro--I am not familiar with your mower. can you explain why it does so well on slopes that are so steep that it is hard to stand on?

do you use an up and down hill pattern...diagonal...etc.? what's the trick?

thanks.

GEO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.