hydro walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by man of stihl, Nov 21, 2005.

1. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys im interested in buying a new hydro walkbehind for next season, i know i have many different options and prices. i just wanted some comments on what u guys like and what you dont. i have a lesco gear drive walkbehind now and its decent, but i want a hydro. i was thinking maybe scag because my local dealer is very nice and has helped me out many times and i was thinkin of returning the favor and buying a scag off of him. any comments would be great:cool2:

thanx
    lance

2. RobH

RobH LawnSite Member

There are a million posts on this issue.

There are many great hydro walk-behinds out there. You could debate all day which one is the best.

One thing that isn't debated is having a good dealer. That is probably the most important thing to consider. Being able to get parts and service on your w/b down the road is vital to your success in this business. You really can't put a price on that.

Personally, I have a 48" Scag w/b and I'm more than happy with it. I've never owned and Exmark, Ferris, Toro, Lesco, Hustler, or any of the other brands that you will read about here. So I can't truly say why one machine is better than another.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

lance--I think this is a very good idea. I personally believe you should "dance with them that brung you", and this guy sounds like he wants to dance.

let us know how it goes.

GEO :)

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, if the dealer treated you good BEFORE you bought anything from him, return the favor.

5. man of stihl

man of stihl LawnSite Senior Member

do you guys have any ballpark figures on wut a 36inch compared to a 48inch would cost me?
    and what kind of catchers do you guys run? i was thinking maybe grass gobbler... i have the cloth type on my lesco and it sucks.

6. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Grass gobbler is a royal pita. It is heavy to begin with, then when it gets full of grass, let alone wet grass, i have never used one but have heard alot of good things about accelerator bags. Just my .02

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, my accelerator catcher is great. the only thing I don't like, is that it will catch and gouge on hill side.

8. Ol'time Lawncare

Ol'time Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I would say go with the dealer closest to you. I my self want a new machine too. and my choices are John Deere,Ferris or Husqvarna... Any opinions about Husqvarnas 48''wb.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You won't be disappointed with the Scag, the only question is do you need a heavy duty unit? This unit will last a very long time, but is pricey. We also like the Snapper hydro with adjustable deck, and I would guess it might cost less. Don't go with a hydro that doesn't drive both wheel independently.

10. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

we have had very good luck with Scag walk-behinds....built well, just change the oil and thats really it.