hydro walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sparcolawn, Jun 30, 2005.

1. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

im looking at hydro walkbehinds between 50'' and 60'' whichs one's the best and why? all comments greatly appreciated!
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

There is no "best". Most have great qualities. Simple...just demo a couple and then decide what you like.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Walkbehinds in the 60" range are getting a little tough to find. The ZTRs are ruling that market segment.
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

My ? why a 50 or 60 wb? Get a Z for that amount of deck.

I run all toro 44. 2 hdyro, rest are gear drive. Kawa engines, great mowers for us, from there we jump to all Z's. Trim work, 21' WB or trim it.
  5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm inclined to think of a 60" walk-behind as too much mower doing too little work, but there's probably an application for it. The comment about the expense relative to that of a ZTR is pretty much dead on, too.

I have an eXmark TTHP 52 and in my opinion, it really is as large a walk as you might want to bother with unless:

1) You have large areas of fairly intense slope; or
    2) You're getting a really sensational deal on a 60 walk.

My TTHP ran me about $5,200 and that's shaving close to an entry-level Z price tag. The reason I went with this unit was that most of my jobs are small-lot items, many with some pretty serious slope. I market to similar homes these days for obvious reasons. Add to that the fact that lot size around here for new homes is getting small and this mower makes a lot of sense for me.

On the other hand, if I was aiming at estate lots, this TTHP would not have made sense. After all is said and done, you have to match new equipment to your established route. If you're just starting up, decide which market you're going after and buy accordingly. If you're established and this kind of mower is what you need, you already know what you need to know.

The big differences between a 52 walk and a ZTR with the same width deck are speed (ZTR wins hands down) and handling on slopes (the walk wins easily). Hope this helps.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I have 5, 61" WB's with 23 hp kawis...all are Ferris. I would not give them up for any Z...and I have a bunch of those too.
  7. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Rodfather. I have two Turf Tracers 60 "in". I find them as productive as my Lazer Z's.
  8. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

thats for all the comments guys! i asked this because i have a brand new toro 52" Z and yes i love it, but the other day i tried an exmark 52 inch hydro walkbehind and fell in love with it, it just seems like a lil' more work and effort needed with the Z rather then the walkbehind, comments?
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

How can that be?
  10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

This is the best best best explanation of difference between a 52" Lazer z and a 52" TTHP. I could not say anymore, but I can tell you that I won't give up my 52" TTHP for any of a Z either. Additional Z is gonna be but to switch out and forget 52" TTHP, forget it.