Hydro Walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfsolutions, Oct 2, 2003.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking to purchase a 52 inch hydro walkbehind to complement my exmark z hp rider. I am tired of the turfing on my small to mid size lawns caused by the rider. I am particular about striping so I am looking for the brand mower that will give the nicest cut. I am leaning toward a Bobcat or Scag. Any imput would be appreciated.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobcat stripes great as just a stock mower. Here there are hardly any ohters then bobcats.

btw: Bobcats are green. :)

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

why are you not considering another exmark?

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

all three stripe great, I had a Scag and now have eXmark, both striped equally well in most grasses. I've seen Bob cat and buntons stripe nice as well.

5. Jimmy348

Jimmy348 LawnSite Member

I m in the same position. But why not an exmark and why not belt as opposed to the hydro. My Z (3 point, slow, creep or whatever turn) has been good but tough on my smaller lawns. Spoke to a dealer and he said only difference between hydro and belt is that the belt will slip in wet weather. Other than that the hydro is a waste of money. I duno? What do ya think?

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I used to be a strong believer in belts only until the day that I bought my first hydro...I will never go back to a belt ever again. Production has increased, maintenance on the machines decreased, time spent on properties has decreased, etc.

7. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

I think your dealer must have some belt drives to move. Just my opinion, but I think he is giving you very bad information. I'm with Tiedeman - I ain't going back to the belt! Search for the half million or so threads on here about belts versus hydros for all the details.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Never had a belt drive, always hydros from day one. No complaints from me.

:D

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Our Ferris 52" WB's leave a nice stripe I think.

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 Exmark 48" TTHP's and really like them. As far as belt drives, some people seem to like and prefer them. I have owned and used both. Trust me, pay the difference, get a hydro, IMHO. Exmark has the full size TT in a 52"cut, I believe with a 23 Kaw, unless that has changed. Good luck and like they say, demo, demo and demo.