hydrogear bypass valve ?'s

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I was mowing along a ditch bank today and it was very wet. It was so wet that when I got to one point, suddenly the bank squashed out and the Z fishtailed into the ditch where it sank more.

It would have pulled itself out, but I didn't want to make any more mess or cause any more damage than was already done. So I just towed it into the street. I remembered reading in my owners manual to release the bypass valves 1/4 turn to relieve the drive system for towing or moving the machine with the engine off. So I did.

When doing that it seemed the valves were already turned pretty far out. So now I'm thinking Humm....???

Could someone please educate me a bit about these valves, their mechanical function, how hey should be adjusted, ect...ect...?

2. Envy Lawn Service

:( Nobody :confused:

3. Wally

Wally LawnSite Member

Envey, On my Scag's Hydrogear pumps the valve should be all the way shut
    for normal operation. There is quite a bit of valve stem sticking out of the side of the pumps even with the valve shut. If they weren't shut I think you would know pretty quick when you went to move. From looking at the parts diagram the valve just opens a passage from both sides of the pump so the wheel motor can free wheel.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, can't help ya there...but you did the right thing to release the values. I know for a fact you can do some serious damage to the pump towing the mower when it hasn't been released.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Thank you guys alot! I was kind of conserned about that. The part that really worried me was that they were very easy to turn that 1/4 turn for release. Also when I went to turn them back, they easily turned past where they were.

So they should be all the way shut then?

Should the mower not freewheel when the engine is off?

I had never attemped to move it with the engine off. Generally I kill the engine with the park break safety switch. I did try to push it, engine off, brake off and it moved pretty easily.
    :confused:

6. Close them all the way till finger tight, then just a tad more with a wrench if no bolt through them.

Suggestion put a bolt through them with a nut to lock in place, then no tools will be needed to open them if needed.

7. Envy Lawn Service

LGF,

Humm...???.....Mine are like a 5/8 bolt with an eyelet hole through the bolthead. I wish it was light out. I'd take a picture and post it so you could see what I'm talking about.

Or does Hydro-Gear have a wedsite where I could maybe find a picture?

8. Envy Lawn Service

It's a bit different from this one but...

bdp10aaux.jpg

9. All my eXmarks have bolts through them. And I put bolts in my DCs, so no tools are needed to open them.

10. Wally

Wally LawnSite Member

There are bolts thru the holes in the bypass valve stems on the Scag. I assumed they came that way but I got it used.