Hydrolic Resevoir problem on Lazer HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lamchop2003, Sep 1, 2003.

1. lamchop2003

lamchop2003 LawnSite Member

I recently thought I had water in the hydrolic resevoir on my lazer hp and I took it to the dealer and had the lines and resevoir flushed. Now, when I check the amount of hydrolic oil, when the mower is cold it registers as low. I add oil and when I am cutting grass the resevoir is spewing hydrolic oil all over the engine.
    What do you think is causing this? Thanks for any info....

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like it has air in the system and the hydro is trying to level itself out. Once the air is out and the fluid is at the correct level this should stop. At least this has been my experience.

Of course the eXmark guys are the true experts. After they get their morning coffee and donuts they will probably answer this question for you. :)

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Jack up the rear end of your HP and cycle the drive back and forth so there is no resistance on the tires. Do this several times, then check the level of fluid in the reservoir and fill as needed. This should clear the air from your lines.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lamchop,

I would agree with Esby and Hoss. It really sounds like you've got air in the system.

It's possible and maybe even probable that this occurred when flushing the hydro system so you may want to run it back in for inspection.

I'm not sure how much of the system they flushed but here's what I would do. First the system can draw more air in if there is a leak on the "suction" side of the system. More often than not that means a loose filter. Don't crank on too hard but make sure it is tight enough for the gasket to seal. Second if the unit is driving fine I'd run it for about 20 or 30 minutes with the wheels up in the air and then another 20 minutes or so around the yard and see what happens. If it doesn't clear up completely in a couple of days or if it begins to loose speed I'd get into the dealer ASAP.

Thanks

Terry

5. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

We had the same problem on a full size lazer. The hydro oil was squriting out the hole in the lid. The trouble was that the oil was over heating because it had hyrdo problems. It got so that the bad side couldnt climb the slopes. The dealer replaced both hyrdo pump and wheel motor on the weak side. The machine had about 350 hrs on it.

6. eXmark

Lamchop,

I forgot to ask if the oil was foamy or gold in color when this occurs?

Thanks

Terry

7. LeoS818

LeoS818 LawnSite Member

Id bet within 200 hrs after the oil squrting out the hole, a pump or wheel motor will be shot.

8. lamchop2003

The oil was indeed foamey. I noticed that I could mow the the machine for appoximatley 1 hour before the oil started coming out of the top of the resevoir. My big concern is the hydrolic motors. I wanted to be sure that there is no damage done. The mower is under waranty, it's brand new, less than 30 hrs.
    The dealership told me this is not an issue that the waranty covers. They charged me 184.00 to clean out the entire hydroli system. Does this sound right to you?

9. eXmark

Lamchop,

I couldn't tell you if the $184 sounds right or not. I simply don't know how much they actually did to the machine. If they flushed the pumps and wheel motors that could take quite a while. However I would take it back since you did not have a problem with the oil foaming before you took it in for the repair. You may also want to make sure the filter is tight.

Not that it probably makes much difference at this point but I am curious however why you thought you had water in the hydro system.

Thanks

Terry

10. lamchop2003

I took the mower back to the dealer again. He was not very happy to see me. I told him the mower was still spewing the hydrolic oil all over the engine. They called me 4 hours later and said when they did the clean out of the system they had left one of the hoses loose. They said I should not have any more problems. I have ran the mower extremely had this week and it is running perfect.
    The reason I thought there was water in the system is because of the color of the oil when it was spewing out of the top of the resevoir. I did not know that the oil was a white color when the air was causing it to bubble up. I thought I had acidently got water in it from washing the mower off at the end of the day.

I appreciate all the advice and help. Hopefully everything will remain in good shape.

Thanks Again !!!