Hydros: Dual Drive Vs. Single Drive?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by steviepowers, Jan 22, 2006.

1. steviepowers

steviepowers LawnSite Member

A dealer is trying to convince me that I need to go ahead with a dual drive hydro. For the next couple of years, I really don't see myself cutting over 20 yards per week. I would love to save the money and go with the single drive. But, I'm willing to pay the extra now if it will really benefit me in the long run. Any advice?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

How big is the mower? I didn't think they made single hydros over a 36" size... Anything has to be better than a belt drive that's for sure. If you aren't contending with a lot of hills then a single hydro would work fine I'd think. It may be a little harder to operate in tight areas because of the lack of trur zero degree turning, but like I say, still better than a belt drive.
  3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you plan to use a velke, or mow any grass on a slight incline near water I would go with the dual hydro. The single hydro is a waste of money, I was going to buy the ferris......... until I used it.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree on this point a good belt drive like Scag is better than that Ferris single hydro.
  5. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Youin just answered the question. Mowers are always going up in price. If you wait to buy the good stuff, it will be that much more expense when it's time to buy.
    Also, all those years you are using the less efficient machine, you could be using the bettter dual hydro and reeping the added profit.
    Nd, a good hydro with last for 1,000's of hours, so you could easily have it for many years reducing the extra money for the better machine not worth worrying about