Hydros on Great Dane Scamper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by genesis215, May 3, 2008.

1. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a Great Dane walk-behind, and it has what are called "integrated hydros". The hydro and wheel motor are in one unit. Are these really troublesome? Poorly made? Should I sell the mower right away to avoid problems? Anyway, I thought I had heard about these being very bad. If anyone has knowledge or experience with these, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. MANOFSTIHL

MANOFSTIHL LawnSite Member

The Scamper is a good mower, the Champ was the bad one:dizzy:

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If they aren't any good everybody is in trouble because they are widely used. The problem at this point is whether they can be repaired or if it is a throwaway. If they have to be replaced they could be pricey...find out what it would cost before you sell.

4. genesis215

genesis215 LawnSite Senior Member

The man I bought it from has maintained it very well, and both the engine and hydros are performing very well. He has not had any decrease in the performance of either, and has owned it since fall of 2006. The hydro fluid was changed in the middle of last year. It is around a 2000-2002 model year. Would that be the Champ or the Scamper? Is it the concensus of everyone that these hydros are not really that bad, and should be long lasting with good maitenance? Any more thoughts would be welcomed.

1994 Ford E150 Club Wagon Chateau - 5.8L 351 Windsor V8
    Great Dane 48" 15HP Kawasaki Scamper Hydro
    21" Troy-Bilt 5.5HP Honda Self Propelled Mower
    21" Troy-Bilt 5.5HP Honda Push Mower
    Shindaiwa T260 Line Trimmer
    Shindaiwa EB630 Backpack Blower
    Husqvarna 600CRT 6.0HP 17" Rear-Tine Tiller
    Murray 22" 6.0HP Hi-Wheel Trimmer