Hydros Won't Sync

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LBOperator, Jun 30, 2013.

1. LBOperator

LBOperator LawnSite Member

I have the hydro's on my walk behind sync'd up where going forward the mower goes straight. But now I can't get the right side to hardly back up at all. I can't back the left side to compensate anymore either because it then tries to reverse in the neutral safe position. Any ideas?
  2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Check all your linkages back to the control arms on the pumps--check to see that the control arm retainer, most often a set screw has not worked loose or worn over time. Just a thought but no guarantee.
  3. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto Dutch...
    The pumps make equal power forward and reverse..
    It a linkage problem...something loose or binding..
  4. LBOperator

Thanks guys, I'm going to go check that now. The I have tightened and adjusted everything above the pumps, it has to lie under the cover with the linkage at the pump itself like your saying.
  5. LBOperator

All of the linkages are secure and tight with minimal play. You think changing the oil in the hydro will bring it back? No telling how long it's been sense it's ben changed. There are no filters on my hydro's either. I asked my local dealer about some hydro oil and he tried to sale me Mobile 1 10-30 for $16 a quart, that's highway robbery you can buy a whole 5 quart jug from any auto parts store for 30-40$. I don't think he will be my dealer anymore, he also charged me 27$ for a 15$ gasket. Guess I will have to use Mayo Garden center, they have Scag's anyway, I can go there and drool, lol.
  6. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to an eXmark dealer and buy their hydro fluid. It will hold up much better and is compatible with all other hydro fluids.