Hydroseed equipment

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawman, Jan 22, 2001.

1. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

What is the best brand and type of hydroseeding equipment for a small landscape company? The equipment will be used for small road side projects ie a few 100 sq ft. up to an acre or two.

2. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Turfquip.com they are a sponsor of this site and have an affordable brand of hydroseeder that advertises through them. Seems like a good product on paper for the money. If you can afford it I think Finn has about the best product out there.

3. champion

champion LawnSite Member

I was wondering if any body knows wear to rent a hydroseeder. I,m in norhwest ohio and can't think of any one who even rents this kind of equiptment. any input would be great. thanks

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I don't know what you have for rental companies over there, but that's where I'd start. Hertz Eqpt rental is a huge chain that just gobbled up one of my eqpt suppliers - prices went up, but they have some larger-scale equipment. See if you have one near you. If you do, and they don't have one, they may be able to get one shipped over from another Hertz location.

Also, make sure you have the equipment to tow it around. Truck, trailer, etc.

5. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

Does anybody use a Hurricane or Hydro Terra brand hydroseeder? If so, what are your thoughts. Is the Turbo- Turf brand worth the extra money? Thanks John

6. Northwest

Northwest LawnSite Member

Does anyone hydroseed out there? I am also looking at buying a unit. Looking at a turboturf or a hurricane from Ketchum industries. If anyone uses these or others what model, engine, pump, hose sizes do you use. Also any problems you had (engine, hoses clogging, etc) or different unit you would buy now that you have experience.

7. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Finn makes a great hydroseeder. I personally have a Hydromite. It is a jet not mechnically agitated. It does the job but it is not as fast preping as the Finn is.

Champion: I'm not sure how far you are from N. Cincinnati but Evans Landscape supply there rents small and BIG hydroseeders. We used them a couple of years ago when we did a big job in Cincinnati.

8. champion

champion LawnSite Member

thanks everyone for the info. Stonehenge I tried hertz in michigan they do'nt rent any hydroseeders.
    CCLC I,ll try evans landscape, so far no luck.

9. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

First you must dicide what types of jobs you want to do before picking a machine. If small jobs are all you will do then the jet agitation machines may work fine, but if high quility in the shortest amount of time (time is money) you will need to look a the paddles agitated machines. Bowie, Finn, and Turfmaker to name a few. These machines can handle wood fiber at high rates with mixing times in just a few minutes. Wood fiber mulches are the better materials on the market and the jet agitated machines take longer to mix thicker slurries, therefore limiting the amount of quality work to be completed in a given amount of time. Hydro Turf Planters Association is having a Conference and Exhibit Feb 23 & 24 in Dallas if anyone is interested in seeing these machines up close and talk to fellow contractors about performance. http://www.htpa.org is the web site to check out the info. for the conference.