hydroseed questions

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by LawnCrazy, Jul 11, 2008.

1. LawnCrazy

LawnCrazy LawnSite Member

I was wondering if the material that is used in a hydroseeder is orgainic or not. Also would it be a good way to reseed my lawn this fall after I core areate and topdress with compost. Any suggestions would be great.

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have not done it myself but I believe I have heard quite a few say that their hydroseeder is what put down their compost. They turned it into a slurry, had the seed in it and started spraying.

There is no ONE way to do anything, especially with organics.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

hydro mulch is usually wood fiber or paper. yes compost can be sprayed, good stuff that makes it past a 1/4 inch screen, hope you have an agitator.

4. easygrass

easygrass LawnSite Member

Hydro Seeding can be a good way to reseed your lawn, you can use seed that has been Inoculated with mycorrhizae and the benefits you get are,

Improved nutrient, mineral, and water uptake
    Improved root growth
    Improved plant growth and yield
    Reduced transplant shock
    Reduced drought stress
    Disease suppression
    Parasitic Nematode control

Also you can add worm castings to the mix ,compost tea , compost if you have a good one that has been screened to 1/8’’ and you do not need to add any mulch to the mix for over seeding. If you were to do a new yard then you would put wood or paper or a blend of the two in the mix to Hydromulch a new yard.

5. Stewards of the Land

Stewards of the Land LawnSite Member

Hydroseeding is by far the most effective way to plant a lawn!

I actually apply the Humus, Mycorrhizae, Organic Acids, Organic Soil Enzymes and Protein through this application both on a seeding and feeding applications! I even apply a high grade compost material which is composted in-vessel and never touches the ground!

If you are going to use compost then you need to be aware of a few things! It MUST be ground down between and 1/8" and 1/4" minus because if anything else larger will destroy parts in the pump and will clog hoses!

Hydroseeding is a science in itself so make sure you properly understand the process and techniques first because I can guarantee you if you dont you WILL have failure!

Thanks,

6. treegal1

I wish I had a picture of the 2 "SCIENTIST" we have laying down the cover mix and wood pulp. there is only 3 good teeth between the 2. not with standing there obvious drug use and alcoholism, they lay down the Green in a great way every time, maybe dumb luck, but i swear its green from start to finish, and it takes with little input. so how to get grass to grow?, it don't take a phd unless you are using a p.ost h.ole d.igger

7. easygrass

easygrass LawnSite Member

Treegal 1

I have a PhD in OJT and I’m still learning how to grow grass . It is hard sometimes getting away from the status quo .

8. Stewards of the Land

Stewards of the Land LawnSite Member

I guarantee you that they would have complete failure out here! However I know for a fact that I would have complete success out there just as I do here!

Dont think for one minute there is not science behind it because we deal with jokers like them all the time and we are the ones cleaning up their messes!

9. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Stewards, Tree's operation is not a joking thing. It is real, it works. I do not need a PHD in mechanics, computer sciences, physics, marketing, manufacturing, finance managment, or anything... but I still operate a car.

10. treegal1

maybe simple folk just has the sense not to grow grass where it should no grow!!!!
    and second we use a seed blend that lends it self to less intense management and use of resources