Hydroseed Sprayer Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by paponte, Nov 5, 2003.

1. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ok for all you hydro seeding geeks, got a question for you. I can get a 1000 gal spray unit (not a hydro seeder), but has mechanical agitation, 65hp FMC motor and pushes 60 gal per minute @ 800 psi. Is there a way to make this thing into a hydro seeder? I would not expect it to be a Finn or anything, I just want to know if it's possible.

As you can tell I have no technical knowledge in this field, but if it's possible would like to offer it as a service. I can also get my hands on a Finn T30, but if i can make a 1000 gal sprayer work I would rather have the capacity.

Thanks for any input, and or advice. :cool:

2. spray-head-dave

spray-head-dave LawnSite Member

Check the type of pump; Hydroseeders use a trash pump; not able to produce 800 psi because that type of pressure is not necessary. The pump has to be able handle the slury mix

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

The pump is pumping way to much pressure, you would blow hoses like crazy. You might be able to change out the pump and make it work. All hydroseeders dont use trash pumps as earlier stated. Jet machines use a semi trash pump, Finn uses a centrifical pump and Bowie uses a gear pump on some machines and centrifical pumps on others. A Bowie gear pump would probably be your best bet for a change out simply because a gear pump works better if you decide to use a Bonded Fiber Matrix type mulch. You will also want to add some sort of recirculation plumbing so that you wont have to have some one standing at the truck to cut the pump off if you decide you want to quit spraying for a min. or two. A Bowie 2x2 pump would probably be all you will want or need unless you are planning on sprayin extremely long distances. A new one cost between 6 and 8 hundred and up depending on shaft size, length, and gear type. My Bowie has a 3x2 Deming centrifical pump and will spray about 200 ft from the end of the hose, a little farther from the tower. Doesnt do as good pumping up hill as a gear pump would, I can spary farther from the tower uphill that I can reach from the hose. 80 to 90 lbs pressure is all you need to spray with. What was the machine used for in the past. The paddles may not be big enough or to big to mix the slurry. A 1000 gal machine will use about 35 hp to move the paddles, that would leave you about 30 hp for whatever pump you choose.

4. muddstopper

Whoops, just reread my post and should have said may bowie has a 4x3 Deming pump instead of a 3x2 Deming.

5. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, sounds like it would be a pita to do if even possible. I have my doubts about the whole thing now. The machines were used for tree spraying, and he wants between $2K & $3K for the units. Thanks for the help guys. :cool:

6. muddstopper

A good used 1000 gal Bowie would cost around $10,000, depending on age and condition. $3000 for machine + around $1500 to convert= half price. I have never seen a tree sprayer so dont know if its do-able or not. Buying a regular hydroseeder is buying somthing you know will work for what its intended.