Hydroseed vs. regular seed?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rixtag, Mar 31, 2004.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

5425 sq feet all ready to be planted. From the guys that do both types, what are the advantages to hydroseeding versus broadcast seeding? Some of the things are obvious to me such as, time to germinate, coverage, and so on. What i'm trying to do is figure out which is the best for the money?

2. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

Apparently a question no one has answers to? 41 views and no responses? Seriously, if it's a ridiculous question tell me why.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I still feel hands down regular seed is the best.

Maybe its just me, but I have always had better results from regular seed compared to hydroseed.

4. Randy J

Randy J LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't responded because I really don't know that much about hydro-seeding, but I'm watching because I'm interested.
    I would think hydro would be the way to go though, if cost were not a factor. It sure seems like it would be hard to beat seed, fertilizer, mulch all mixed together.

Randy

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

After buying my hydroseeder and seeing the results firsthand that it produces, I will never broadcast seed again. You can have everything in the tank at once, and be done with it, including soil stabilizers, seed booster, etc....but it does take proper prep for both to be effective..Now let the can of worms be officially opened!!:D

6. Andyinchville

Andyinchville LawnSite Senior Member

Hydroseeding rules !....You get erosion control, seeding, liming , fertilizing, and no
    mess to clean up all in one application.
    Plus as the added benefit of higher / faster germination rates not to mention not adding any weed seeds from the straw / hay.....Hydroseeding may cost more tho.....Anybody can broadcast seed and
    straw but it takes $$ and equipment to hydroseed which is why hydroseeding may cost more but is by far the better process.

7. Who's on first

Who's on first LawnSite Member

We have done and still seed either way. Depends on the client's budget. Most of our work is through the hydroseeder once the locals have seen how good it looks.

We always sell the hydroseeder because of the quality we get. Not that all hydroseeding jobs look great. I've seen some competitiors' work that is just embarassing to the industry. But that's what you could get with anything you do. You get what you put into it and what you pay for.

Hydroseeding is our method of choice everytime.

8. rixtag

from Lehi Ut

Now that's what Im talking about.

Who's on first: What makes the difference between a good hydro job and a bad hydro job? What kind of things do I look for?

There are a lot of choices as far as companies that do it. They charge 8.5 cents per s/f. That is pretty fair price around here.

9. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I'll take this one...the difference is in the materials used in the mixes. Will the seed grow in that area? Ph test? Is it new or old seed? Is it just a "Contractor's Mix"? How much/what type of fertilizer used,how much mulch per / acre is being applied,tackifieer used? etc...We also spray from at least 2 directions to prevent "shadowing", ensuring a nice , even coverage.We put stimulants,copolymers, etc.. in every tank we spray to ensure the best results even in the poorest of conditions.

10. Who's on first

Who's on first LawnSite Member

I essentially agree with impactlandscaping. Preparation is key to a quality hydroseeding job. We soil test and bring up to balance after the seed bed has been prepared. Appropriate grass types, varieties, and quality seed make a difference. We strictly use wood mulch with tackifier and use adequate amounts for good coverage and nice appearance. We also spray in two directions to reduce shadowing. Our first pass is to roll up a little bit of soil with the mulch/seed mix and then another pass to float on a layer of the hyrdromulch mix. We own a mechanical agitation machine. Jet agitation units just can't put down enough mulch to make a quality job. (I'm sure this will get some interesting comments.)

We've haven't done much in the stimulants and such but we use an organic based fertilizer that has given us excellent results.

It's not a cheap program but neither are the results. I'll be honest, I wouldn't do it for 8.5 cents. I'll charge more, depending on the size of the installation.