hydroseed ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by BryPaulD, Jun 20, 2006.

1. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I"m not experienced with it. I got some quotes to do my yard from 4 different, well, 3 different people cause one didn't show up. Anyway, 2 guys are charging 10 cents a foot and the other is at 5 cents a foot. My question is, why is that guy 1/2 the price? Is there like good and bad hydroseeding. What maybe should I be aware of? Thank you :)

2. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

10 cents is a fair price for residential... the only way he could be doing a good job at 5 cents is if he buy A LOT of material but even still thats tough....

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

You will find hydroseeding prices all over the place. What counts is what you are getting for your money. Material costs will run around 2 cents a sqft. Thats not the total cost of the hydroseeding job. I do a lot of seeding in the 5 cent range but that is for large acreages, not a residential lawn. There are differences in material cost as well. Lawns generally get more seed. Even cheap seed is now around a $1 per lb and can add another penny persqft for residental type seeding. Then you have the drive factor. It cost me as much fuel and time to travel to a 5000sqft lawn as it does a 5 acre job. This time and fuel has to be added to the price as well. Now you are up to 7 cents a sqft and you still havent even figured in your wages or your profit. My insurance and taxes and tags cost me $12,000 a year, add a few more pennies to the price per sqft. 10 cents is fair for a residental lawn, but that doesnt mean the guy chargeing 5 cents is skimping on materials, he may be doing a lot of volume and can get by with chargeing less. Ask the contractors what kind of materials they plan on using and the amounts. if they are all in the same ball park on materials, then you are probably getting what you are paying for.

4. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Post some pics of that hydroseed equipment of yours please for me to check out!!!!

5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hydroseed = yard full of weeds!!!

Save the hydroseeding for commercial apps, or if you just dont care about your yard...

6. AintNoFun

someone doesn't know what they are talking about... we get awesome results from hydroseeding... there are def. bad hydroseeding jobs and contractors as there are crappy hardscape and planting contractors as well, but dont shoot it down totally .:rolleyes:

7. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe in your case, but I've gotten far superior results from hydroseed than from anything else. I can control which varieties I want for each particular area. You get what the growers have when it comes to sod.

8. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Hydroseeding provides great results. 10 cents a sq. is fair for a quality job.:usflag:

9. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Typical Lawnsite response. IF you dont agree with what someone posts, automatically it is ASSumed that the person does not know what they are talking about.

Here in FL, hydroseeding is nearly 99.9% a disaster. I have seen 7 yards that were hydroseeded last year and this year they all look like $ h i t.

I noticed that from the previous guys who posted, most were from up north somewhere, which obviously has a far greater result from the same process.

Rather than just saying that I dont know what I am talking about, maybe you should know all the facts....

To give you an idea how terrible it is there is 1 company that is in the yellow pages for Tampa and surrounding area. Nobody ever even requests it, in fact it is not even an option for most people. They only way to go for folks down here is Sod, anything else and the weeds just take over....

10. AintNoFun

then you shoulda said hydroseeding you've seen in florida on SEVEN jobs look like garbage instead of saying

"Hydroseed = yard full of weeds!!!

Save the hydroseeding for commercial apps, or if you just dont care about your yard..."

thats pretty generic to dont ya think?