Hydroseeder idea

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by NCSULandscaper, Dec 29, 2003.

1. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ive been thinking about this idea for a while. Has anyone ever heard of taking an old fire engine and turning it into a hydroseeder on wheels. It already has large pumps, and a large tank. Could it actually work? Ive seen many fire engines around here being sold for a few grand.

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Thats a very interesting idea! I bet that would attract a lot of attention!

3. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

Wont work. No way. A tank in fire apparatus is custom built to fit the compartment it is in. Many odd angles that work for storing water but not real good for mixing a slurry. The tanks also have baffles so the water doesn't move while the apparatus is trucking to an alarm. You also have to find a way to agitate the slurry to mix it. That, alone, would be a tall order. It would make a cool show on "Monster Garage" though! :D I couldn't imagine working up a way to run mechanical agitation on a cab over piece of apparatus, IMHO.

The best thing to do with a used piece of apparatus is to cut off the body, mount a flat bed on it, and mount a seeder on the bed. Sell the pump, lights, and everything off the apparatus to somebody who digs on that stuff to get back some of your investment.

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

That is true for the fancier, new trucks, however the old trucks you see in rural volunteer fire departments have a single rectangular tank. Aggitation wouldnt be a problem, i can fabricate an aggitation system, if there happen to be baffles in the tank they can be removed easily, you have to cut into the tank anyhow to load the slurry and seed.