Hydroseeder Paddle vs. Jet etc..

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by roscioli, Jan 22, 2002.

1. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Okay guys, did the search, came up with nothing worthwhile. I am looking into a hydroseeder for the spring. Problem is I dont have much $$. I was looking at 300 gallon units from TurboTurf with JET agitation. They run like $4000 or less, and thats all I have. I DO NOT WANT STEEL. I hate rust. But if its really the only way to go, I will wait and save. Not many of the locals do it, so I think it could be a good addition to my small biz, and the biggest lawn I will seed will be 1.5 acres or so. I dont mind leaving to refill a few times, so the smaller tank would be okay. Anyway, Jet or Paddle? Go small at first or wait? Thanks guys, Michael

2. Ok something new.

Find one with machanical agitaion.

The jet Agitation ones chew up the seed, they can't break the bales up on their own and they don't mix very fast.

Paul from Nelsongroup has some, he can answer your questions better than I, but I have done some extensive research on them.

3. MLI

MLI LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Just bought a used hydroseeder with paddle, 400gal. Ive used both jet and paddle, and had better results with the mechanical paddle, it break the bales, and mixes much better. Another point is that you cant use wood fiber with jet(gets clogged fast). I feel the wood fiber with paper mulch holds moisture better than just papper. If I were you, Id start with a small unit like we did, then in future buy nurse tank to feed off of. :cool:

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

When I use to work for a landscape outfit, we had a large one with the paddles. I believe it even had some kind of shredder that would shred the bails before it entered the tank. It had a gooseneck hitch, don't remember the brand name, but it was green and big. Took a minimum of 2 people to operate, unless you were shooting out the tower. That think made tons of money for this guy.

MATT

5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Okay guys, how about the hurricane hydroseeders? They seem to have a different version of jet agitation, where they claim improved agitation over regular jet, and the ability to use wood mulch. The "Sale" right now has one under 5 grand with a 400 gallon tank and a 20.5 horse Robin-Subaru engine. Thanks for the info so far, and what do you think about this? Is it just another junk claim?

6. kristopher l kave

kristopher l kave LawnSite Member

ME AND A BUDDY ARE GOING INTO HYDROSEEDING IVE LOOKED AT ALL MODELS I THINK EASY LAWN IS THE WAY TO GO THEY HAVE A WEB SITE THEY WILL SEND VIDEO AND PAPERS. THEY ALSO DEMO I DIDNT LIKE HURRICANES ATTITUDE THERE NEVER IN THEIR OFFICE FOR 5000.00 YOU CAN GET 600 GAL EASY LAWN WITH MOLDED IN BALE HOPPER THE PROBLEM WITH PADDLES THEY REQUIRE A BIG TRUCK 2 PEOPLE ALOT TO GO WRONG AND EXPENSIVE. WE ARE TEAMING UP WITH OLD BOSS HE WILL DO BIG WORK WE WILL DO 1 ACRE AND UNDER JOBS.ALSO IF U NEED MORE WATER HIRE A SWIMMING POOL WATER FILLER TO COME OUT THEY WILL ITS JUST AS QUICK LATER LET ME KNOW WHT U THINK LATER

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

We use to fill ours' with a water meter (an attatchment that fits on a fire hydrant). You have to call in the meter numbers once a month or so. This thing will fill up your tank FAST! The downside is that ir requires a huge deposit. I am guessing it was like $5,000 or so, but not quite sure.

MATT

8. BFreiburger

BFreiburger LawnSite Member

Guys, I was doing the very same home work last year.

Do your homework but before you buy any machine make them demo it.

I set the demo standards by making them load mix and shoot max capacity 100% wood fiber. If it handles that it will handle anything. The choise was clear after those demo's.

If they tell you nobody shoots 100% wood fiber in the real world, walk.

BTW I shot an 124 Acre Golf Course last Summer, Specs all Wood Fiber.

Good luck

9. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Well Dont believe them about the wood. That true! I shoot nothing but wood and most of the companies here wouldn't touch paper.

10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

This post should be in the landscaping section, but here's my $0.02.
    Save your money if your looking to do a lot of seeding, because you'll want a mechicanal agation machine.
    If all your going to do is small jobs it will work but you'll be kicking yourself when the first big job comes along. Mixing with a mechanically agitated unit is so much faster.

All I shoot is 100% wood, we are starting to use BFM mulches now with DESC Programs that are in effect in most counites. You can't mix a BFM (Bonded Fiber Matrix) in a jet machine.

One last thing:) a jet machine makes a nice water trailer or truck but for $1000 I can make just as good of one out of a 1000 gallon tank and a 3" pump.

As far as steel goes yes they need some work each year but not much, if you keep up with small problems they don't turn into larger ones. If you really want to get away from rust you can check out Ed at Turfquip.com listed here on Lawnsite he sells stainless steel ones:) He also handles jet machines too!