1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

hydroseeder water filling

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by JTS Landscaping lawn, Jul 7, 2006.

1. JTS Landscaping lawn

JTS Landscaping lawn LawnSite Senior Member

were do most of you fill up your hydroseeders if a hydrant to you need permits or anything.
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have 2 sources. 1 is i have a port. pump and we seem to have streams in my area with in 15 minutes of any job i have done. 2 is where i live and covering a mile area i can use hydrants being a vol. fire fighter the county know i know how to turn on and off a hydrant the proper way. I keep tract of my water and pay for it 4.00 per 1000 gal. pretty cheap really.
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

after 9/11 its very very very tough to get water legally outta hydrants. we either use a trash pump if a lake is nearby or go to local water company and fill up there. some county/municipal/state jobs already have the permits which works out most of the time...
  4. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Around here you can hook a double check to a hydrant and let it rip.
  5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Here in the City of Wilson will gladly give you a 2" hydrant meter coupled with an RP backflow device, after a month or so they will come read the meter and send you a bill.

Utilize it from any hydrant, i'd take it home every night, they can be expensive to replace.
  6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats pretty neat here what hydrants i can use, we use a western count. Hydroseeder holds 500 gal. nurse tank holds 500 gal. call county when done tell how many tanks used and get billed later $ 4.00 per 1000 gal. of water.