Hydroseeders and overnight freezes

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Stonehenge, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I have a question for those who have hydroseeded for more than 1 year (because I'm in my 1st year with my unit).

It's starting to get cool here, and I know my unit needs to be emptied so no seals break from freezing.

My question is this: There's always about 20-30 gallons left in the bottom of the tank. How/where do you get rid of that so it can't sit in the tank/piping and freeze? Do you have a big hole at your location where you dump it? Do you drain it at the customer's house, giving them a blue street or driveway?

2. Do you have any builders that you work for, who you could maybe spray the leftovers for them at the end of the day for a lower rate? Possibly another / smaller landscape company? They get it ready and you bring them the leftovers each day for a lower price? I know that a lot of blacktop guys, if they have anything left at the end of the day they will come by and drop it somewhere for you. Spreading is another thing.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure its any good once you "dump" the mix out of the drain. Its probobly pretty segregated once the water flows through all the mix.

When we finished and we knew we wouldn't be using it any time soon, we would hit our own spots on our properties, even just overseeding. It makes more sense then dumping it somewhere.

If you don't want to do that and you have "free" water you can run the pump while flushing it out with water to thin out the mix, that takes most of the dye out.

There are always beat up road shoulder's around or "cow path's" that could use a little seed. Do your community service! :)

4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

First we always flush out our unit every time we finish using it. I mean my guys clean it out good. No stray mulch sits in it. Hints to keep it from freezing, use anti-freeze in the pump, not that auto stuff but R.V. stuff it's non toxic. After cleaning pour some into the punp.

Have you guys that use homeowers water checked out renting a meter from the town your working in? Most require a deposit, and a monthly inspection of the meter paying for the water that way is cheap and it sure fill the tanks up fast! We rent a couple of meters from the towns, one charges us $50 for unlimited use others charge us $2.00 per thousand gallons.

5. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the replies.

I wonder if antifreeze might do the trick. The problem I have is, not so much I don't have somewhere to spray it, it's that the last gallons can't make it to the pump to GET sprayed. A design flaw it seems, that you can't empty the entire tank.

But you can pull a plug at the bottom to empty the last drops. My problem is I don't have a place to drain that last bit.

6. Alan

Alan Member

When I'm done flushing for the day there is virtually no mulch and just a hint of color left in the tank. I just spray my rinse water out over the job. The intake on my unit is right on the bottom of the tank, so there is very little left that the pump can't get out. The pump itself (Honda) has two drains in the case, I usually pull them and put them in my pocket, letting the pump drain on the trip home. When I park the machine I put the plugs in just enough to catch the threads, that way they can still weep out any water that is left. For just frosty nights I don't worry about what little is left in the tank, but if it's going to be sitting for several days I have a drain I can pull to drain the tank completely as well as a few strategically placed drains in fitting that tend to collect water.

7. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

What kind of machine do you have. I rinse out my machine and there is never anything left, everything goes to the pump and only minor residue left to clean.

For all you guys that dump material, be careful, EPA will nail you if your tank holds fertilizer and/or tac. If the owner doesn't want the mulch a presses charges they can bust you for illegal dumping and depending of the type of fert. and tac. , may nail you for hazerdous dumping. There was a article about a mulcher cleaning his machine near a lake and the Corp. of Engineers pressed charges.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

"We rent a couple of meters from the towns, one charges us $50 for unlimited use others charge us $2.00 per thousand gallons."

Where would these meters be located in the town? This sounds like an ideal setup for a sprayer, too.

"it's that the last gallons can't make it to the pump to GET sprayed. A design flaw it seems, that you can't empty the entire tank."

Is it possible you could put more water in it, and let it sit for a bit to allow everything to float to the top of the water? (To the spray pump) Then you just have mostly water left. Or, does yours have to have the auger/agitator on to feed into the pump?

9. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

I have a Bowie and the pump feed is at the back of the machine in the bottom. I don't have anything left in the machine.

As far as getting meters, here it cost $500.00 - $700.00 deposit for each city to use the fire hydrants. If you use lakes, ponds, rivers, and creeks you should be careful and know who owns the water rights. You could find yourself in jail with your equipment impounded.