Hydroseeders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by jimrguy, Dec 11, 2003.

1. jimrguy

jimrguy LawnSite Member

Hello well i currently own a 400 gallon aqua turf by tgmi. mechanical agitated hydroseeder. i loved it. it was built in 1998 and im thinking of buying a new one. 800 gallon i was just wondering if anyone ever had a james lincoln hydroseeder (TURFMAKER). they are about the same price as the aqua mulcher. but seem a little more user friendy. well if anyone has any comments i would be very greatfull thanks jim

7002lg.jpg

2. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

I own a 900 gallon Turmaker and I love it. Easy to use, easy to maintain, and the folks at James Lincoln are great people. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Turfmaker.

3. jimrguy

jimrguy LawnSite Member

hey thanks for the advice Jay. i am leaning toward the james lincoln. i was just wondering if you had the model with the steel gears or rubber for your pump and what engine package. jim

4. The Good Earth

The pump has steel gears. My engine is an 18 HP Kohler. I'm not real crazy about the Kohler. I prefer Kawasaki but you have to give and take a little. You really can't go wrong with a Turfmaker. For the pump a rebuild kit is something like $250.00 and a new pump is like $600.00. When it comes to working on stuff I am a certified, card carrying member of the short bus brigade and can work on my Turfmaker. :D It really is a user friendly machine.

5. jimrguy

jimrguy LawnSite Member

Thanks really. for the info i am glad you like it. i think i will to. i am going to get it right after the first of the year. well if its not to much to ask i also use a solid hose with my current machine jim lincoln said he uses colapsable hose?????? and positives on that.

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Turfmaker, Kincade, aquaturf, bowie and finn all make good mechanical machines. Whichever you choose you should be happy with it. Personally I don like the design of the turfmaker, not the working parts but the shell on the outside. There is no place to store any extra materials. Bowie and Finn have flat tops that allow you to store extra supplies without having to move them from your truck or trailer to the machine. I hate handleing materials twice. The collaspable hose shouldnt be a big problem with the Turfmaker with the gear pump, which by the way I think is still manufactured by Bowie. Kincade uses the bowie pump also or used to, not sure about that now. Ive never seen an aquaturf machine so dont know what kind of pump it has. Collaspable hose does have a tendency to kink but is really more of a problem with centrifical pumps. I like the sprial core hard plastic lines myself, they are lighter than the rubber line which can kink also, and they are easier to clean, inside and out. Of course then you have to have a bigger reel to store them on so I guess that is a trade off. The plastic line are easy to fix in the field also if you happen to burst one or spring a leak, I never have except when a home owner drove their car over it, went to the local plumbing supply and one coupleing and 2 clamps later was back to spraying.

7. The Good Earth

Mudstopper is right about the storage. That is one drawback to the Turfmaker. I have to move bales of mulch from my stakebed to the seeder when I load and reload. That gets a little old but, like I said about the Kohler, you have to give and take a little.

The pump is a Bowie. Simple to work on. Easy as pie. I also have collapsible hose. I like the collapsible hose a lot. If you get a hole in it while on a job it is no big deal. If your slurry is right the mulch clogs the hole. When you drain it and are flowing water just throw some duct tape around the hole and you are good to go. No doubt someone will run over your hose while on a job. It always happens. The collapsible hose withstands those things, while rigid hose doesn't.

On a past thread on here it was suggested that the Turfmaker couldn't do the work that a Finn or Bowie could. That is an uninformed statement. The Turfmaker won't outwork the Finn or Bowie but will run right with them. In the next week I have to place exhaust valve seals in the Kohler on my machine. When Kohler built the engine they put in inadequate valve seals. Really not all that big of a deal. Not pricey or anything, just a typical equipment cost. Imagine the cost of doing the same type job on a 50 odd horse diesel engine. You can see where a huge savings will be in preventive maintenance alone. At least, that is the way I see it. I could be wrong.

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Let me touch on Good Earths statement about overstating machine performance. If you have two machine manufacturers using similar agitation and the exacte same pump, how could one machine out perform the other. Answer, they cant, unless there are other differences. Engine size and hp are one difference and so is hose size and types. Bowie uses both centrifical and gear pumps in the manufacturing of there machine, and each machine will perform different. Usually a machine with a gear pump works better when pumping heavy slurries thru long distances with hoses, especialy if you are pumping uphill. On the other hand a Centrifical pump usually pumps more volumes and works better when using a Tower gun. Both pump types will work with hoses or a tower gun. Finn uses a centrical pump on there machines, I have never seen a finn with a gear pump, but that dont mean they dont use them. A finn with a centrical pump will out perform a Bowie with a gear pump when spraying from a tower gun, It even works good using hoses but a Bowie with a gear pump will out perform a Finn with centrifical thru a hose. Put the same pump on either machine and there probably wouldnt be a nickle difference. I am posting this because I think a person should purchase a machine based on what they plan on using it for. It is obvious that the machine is being purchased for hydroseeding but, will most of your seeding be done with a towergun or thru a hose. If you are always using a lot of hoses and seem to alway have to pull them uphill then you will proabably be better off with a gearpump machine but, if most of your seeding is being done with a short hose or from a tower gun then a centrifical machine might be a better choice. Also if you are planning on using the BMF mulches a gear pump would be a better choice, althou a centrifical pump will work, just not as good. A bigger engine will give you more pumping power reguardless of pump type, of course hp more than is really needed is just a waste of money too. I would touch on the use of progressive cavity pumps but they are so expensive that I dont think any manufacture offers them anymore, they give you the best of both worlds, positive displacement and large volumes.

9. jimrguy

jimrguy LawnSite Member

Well i have purchased the new 800 gal machine from James Lincoln. (Turf-Maker) i really appreciate all the help and valuable info. I am sure i will have many questions in the spring. :confused: Well it is 2 degrees here in Maine right now so i wont be using it for a while. Just wanted to say thanks.

Jim Guy