1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydroseeding as a way to overseed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by T and T Lawn Care, Mar 26, 2006.

1. T and T Lawn Care

T and T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I was curious if anyone hydroseeds as a method of overseeding or maybe as part of a lawn renovation. Possibly after aerating an lying down a layer of topdressing. Any input would be appreciated.
  2. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

When I picked up my unit Wednesday I discussed it a little bit with the guy at the factory. I'm really don't remember the specifics though. I'm positive it involved less mulch and different ratios of seed and fert. Just not sure of the exact ratios. Try this forum. It's specifically for hydro seeding.

3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Works great for overseeding, Just thin out the mix a little,Add lime,fert,mulch seed and overseed away:clapping:
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been doing this for years. We first go through the lawn with a dethatcher to grind up the top layer, if it is really hard I will even aerate, and then rake off the light organic matter and dispose. Then hydroseed. If the lawn is really thin we will keep the same hydro mix as bare dirt but if it is a little thicker, we will thin out the mix.
  5. T and T Lawn Care

T and T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, its greatly appreciated.
  6. Stuckwithit

Stuckwithit LawnSite Member

I am glad this disucsion came up about overseeding by hydroseeding, so to speak. I have been thinking about using this method to overseed this year. Do you use different nozzles around planting beds,trees,etc. Or do you just avoid coming close to those areas and overseed with a different method. About how much more is this in material cost of fert, mulch, and gas? I was thinking of renting a hydroseeder for a week and go to town? Seems very efficent, instead of overseeding with a machine. I also like the idea of it being a different way of doing it compared to the competition? People like to see and pay for new things, definatley catches their eye when they drive by. Basically just curious to the pros and cons. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
  7. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ya :cool2: DAZZLE:cool2: em with looks, But the end result is a nice lawn:clapping: . Just spray outline around beds and trees.Costs?:confused: Depends on equipment choices. Try Sunbelt rentals for a rental.:waving:
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you have enough smileys in your message...:)

Rent a hydroseeder. You'll love it!