hydroseeding as opposed to slice seeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JML, Jan 30, 2002.

1. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

i have a commercial customer that has approx. 4 acres of pretty bad grass, only like 50% grass, with some ok soil. He doesn't want to bring in any soil, so that is why I thought hydro-seeding would be the best bet because it might add some more nutrients to the soil. what would you guys think would be the best bet. he knows he won't get a quality lawn, but he just wants to improve what he has now because all of the tenants are complaining. A sprinkler system will be installed in the early summer. i have access to a hydro seeder from a friend and he'll let me use it. please give me some input.. thanks

joe

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Seed to soil contact is essential for successful results. A mechanical seeding of some kind would be prefered because of existing vegetation.

I'd say put a good fertility program to work starting now, let the irrigation guys install this summer and seed in Aug- early Sept.

Everyone will be happier with the results.

3. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

I have been "mechanically " seeding grass for a lomg time now, and after purchasing a hydroseeder last fall i have to say i have never seen a mechanically seeded lawn come up as fast or as full and even, especially with irrigation!! I'm not trying to say the conventional method will not work though.
    The cost factor comes into play a little though. Being in the hydroseeding buisness, i would charge more for hydroseeding than regular seeding. Unless this was going to be a one time deal and i was trying to make the customer happy.

4. The Good Earth

The Good Earth LawnSite Member

The customer has bad grass because of the soil. I am willing to bet the problem lies directly in the soil. If the guy doesn't want to improve his soil he may have to live with bad grass.

Hydroseeding the existing property isn't going to do anything to help this lawn. Improving the soil then coming up with a seeding plan is what will improve the turf.

Law of the west, gotta have good soil for good grass.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I don't see how hydro-seeding is going to add nutrients to the soil. Start working on the weed control now and as said above, drill the seed after irrigation installation, in the fall.

MATT

6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

you need to get a soil test done. enough said, just like good earth said if the soil is poor due to compaction, or poor amounts of nutrient then it will show even if you seed either way.

7. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

y'all are right about soil conditions, but is the customer going to spend the money make it right?(That will make a hefty bill)
    Now, i'm not tring to use any bad business practices, but you have to give the customer what they want or somone else will. For example, a few months ago i did a job about the same as the one above. it was a 4 acre field that had been graded with the rest of the site when the building was built and then left alone for some time. I gave them a price to do it right, ammending the soil, etc. ( almost all red clay ). I also gave them another price for just turning the soil and re- leveling it, then shooting it. They said first price was way too high, but could live with the lower price. I then advised them of the risk of not properly ammending the soil and there would be no warranty. I did the latter, and as of last week it's actually looking real good. Maybe i should not have given them the cheaper price, but it was a job that i got and not a job that i lost.
    Shawn