Hydroseeding Existing Turf

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Mar 3, 2007.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Guys and Gals. I am working on another hydroseeding job and wanted to seek some knowledge from some of the experienced guys out there. I have a lawn that is currently part fescue and part bermuda and the customer is interested in hydroseeding centipede. I know once establised that the centipede will overtake the fescue and most likely the bermuda, but my question is can i hydroseed an existing lawn with out having to go in and kill off everything and till it up? I know that tilling it up will get me much better seed to soil contact, but I am tring to keep this one simple. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i didnt do the hydro, but we scalped the exhisting lawn and the hydro company came in the next day and sprayed, and it took. looks good now.

3. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I would scalp what you have and then aerate in several directions , then hydroseed. Get the best seed to soil contact you can.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Scalping will help to get the seed to the soil. the problem will be if there are big patches of fescue. the fescue will keep the seed from touching soil before the bermuda will. I would say mow at 1inch or lower and you should have a nice product within several months.

5. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I think I would be hesitant about planting centepede right now, still a little to cold. Any fertilizer used in the seeding slurry will just feed the fescue. I think I would do a total kill off with roundup and again when the bermuda starts coming out of hibernation before I planted the centepede

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help everyone. As far as the time of year, I will be doing this around late April or Early May. Just bidding now. As far as a total kill. I agree that a total kill would at least slow the bermuda until the cetipede could take root and this is most likely what I will do.

7. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Remember hydro-seeding is not like the invention of the wheel. Would you do this application in the manual method? I choose seed to soil weather it would be conventional or hydro-seed. I do hydro-seed everything now since i own one.
    Mike