Hydroseeding mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PrimeGreen Lawn, Jun 26, 2002.

1. PrimeGreen Lawn

PrimeGreen Lawn LawnSite Member

OK, I've tried this earlier, but maybe if I make it easier to think about.....With a turbo-turf hydroseeding system, how many pounds of mulch should I put in for say a 750 gallon tank? most manufactures suggest 4-5 bales, however some are 50 lbs and others are around 30!

2. PrimeGreen Lawn

Come on guys! Don't tell me nobody has a hydroseeder in here!

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Alan

Alan Member

With all the possibilities in mulch types and brands I doubt there is any hard and fast rule or any one, "correct", answer. I know that with my little machine (200 gallon) it varies from 40 to 80 lbs per load, depending on the brand of mulch. Try adding material until the pump starts getting "lazy" and having trouble pumping a good stream through the jets. You will be able to see what I'm talking about. Start with 600-650 gallons of water, that way when the mix gets too thick to pump well you can add a little water until the pump works well again. Spray that out with an eye to getting mulch coverage on 80-90% of the soil.

Also, pay attention to what your mulch is costing "on the ground". Sometimes the cheapest material to buy is way too expensive to use. I'm using National Fiber paper and it's the highest priced per bale. But it mixes so much faster that I figure I can put down an extra 5,000 feet over the course of an 8 hr day. Had a hell of a time getting the local supplier to understand that there is more to cost of application than material prices. They were going to stop carrying National Fiber because nobody was buying it but me as it "cost too much".

Is your Turbo Turf the high performance model with bigger pump and the bale buster jet? Without the bale buster I'm not all that impressed with the way TT mixes. I helped another seeder when he used his 300 TT the first time and it was WAAAY slower than my home grown 200 in terms of area per hour, mainly due to slow mixing.

Another hint, I found it handy to "calibrate" a 5 gallon bucket for measuring seed. I marked 5 pound increments on the inside of the bucket, sure beats guessing.
  5. PrimeGreen Lawn

Alan, great tips and great advice, thanks a bunch. I'll try your ideas and to answer your question, I have only a 16 hp Kohler and I do have the bale buster (standard on the 750). I recently purchased this for $5,000 with a 10,000 rated trailer that are each only 2 and 3 years old! As you can see I couldent pass this deal. My heart was set on a L90 from EZ Lawn, but the $24,000 price tag makes me hold off a while. Thanks again!

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Our Finn T-60 we run 240-250 lbs per load of 100% wood mulch.
  7. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

How much mulch per acre are you trying to put down?
  8. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I have a Turbo Turf E-500 And Turbo reckomended 100 lb per tank

doing some quick math I come up with 150 lb for a 750 gal. unit.

Turbo Turf also hosts a website. www.I-hydroseeding.com

I hope this helps.

This is if you are using paper mulch !!!!!

Mike Brown

Green With Envy
    (248) 684-9650
  9. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Respectfully, 150 lbs. in a 750 seems a little light.

In order to achieve 1500 lbs./acre; the recommended minimum for good grow-in, that batch would only cover 4400 square feet...give or take a few.

How many square feet did the manufacturer's salesman promise you?
  10. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I agree, the mulch is thin.

We have a 500 gal. machine and they recomend 100 lbs. per tank.

I can push it to 120 lbs. without too much trouble if I'm running a shorter hose. "under 200 ft."

They claim I can get 6,6oo square ft. per load.

Actually I get about 5,000 sq. ft.

The machine does have limitations but for the price and for a entry level machine. I have no problems with it.

I hope to move up to a larger Finn next spring. A 1000 plus unit.

Mike Brown

Green With Envy, LLC.
    1234 E. Lafayette
    Milford Mi. 48381
    (248) 684-9650