Hydroseeding or Slit Seeding?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by foggyjr5, Dec 6, 2006.

1. foggyjr5

foggyjr5 LawnSite Member

Ok so today I got a call from a local baseball field, which I am involved with. This year they are under going many changes, one of which includes a new field. They are all done with the field now, but they called me to see how they should go about getting grass on the field.

So here is where I come for help! I said why dont you just put down sod, but they said that they didn't want to spend that much money. So now, they want to know what would be cheap, but also come up pretty fast.

Any input would be great, and thanks in advance!

2. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Not sure how big your field is, but I'll give some suggestions. Sod the infield. Most fo your foot traffic will be here and you want good playability here as soon as you can. Seed the outfield. If you hydroseed use a tackifier and straw mulch. If possible use a tractor with a 3 pt straw crimper to help keep the straw in place. Otherwise the wind will blow it away or in clumps. The grass will then germinate in the same pattern as the clumps. Be more than prepared to seed the outfield again in the spring. Go with a seed blend that will give you some quick coverage. Come early spring you can overseed with a perrrenial rye/ bluegrass blend. Use a quick release starter fertilizer.

Do yourself a big favor and get the soil tested.

Just some quick ideas from the other side of the county. Good luck.

3. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

There shouldn't be much difference in germination speed between slit or hydroseeding. As far as which is cheaper it just depends on what contractors are charging in your area. Holding soil in place after a winter seeding is very important so definitely use a tackifier and crimped straw or a straw matting.

4. crzymow

crzymow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa

If you are going to sod, make sure you have available water supply to water it. I know this time of year shouldnt be to much of a problem with moisture, but you dont want the sod to dry out at all until it has taken or it shrinks and you will have gaps at the seems.