1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydroseeding owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Duncan IN, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Duncan IN

Duncan IN LawnSite Member

I currently just mow lawns, but I am wanting to expand my business. One of the options that I am thinking about doing is Hydro seeding. What I am wanting to know from some owners of hydroseeders is about how much profit is there in it and is it an all summer job or mainly spring and fall. How many jobs a week on average do you do and if alot of you are in a big city or around a bunch of small towns? I am just wanting to get some info to help me decide wether to buy a hydroseeder or not. I will probably go with a 250 or 500 gallon tank. Any info would be greatly appreciated

[Edited by Duncan IN on 03-26-2001 at 09:48 PM]
  2. Sean Gassman

Sean Gassman LawnSite Member

This is not a easy question to answer. If you are a good salesmen and do a quality job then the profit is good. There is a learning curve similar to landscaping. You will need to investigate machines, mulches, grass types,application rates for mulch, seed, and fertilizer etc. Most hydroseeding contractors do not make much money for at least 2-3 years. There is alot to learn. Do not believe machine Manufactuers that will tell you anything to sell a machine. The amount of money they claim can be made is not the total truth ( I wish it was). Yes, hydroseeding can be very profitable, just like any other service if done correctly. You will need to figure out what types of jobs you want to do. How fast you can do them with the machine you are looking at. The more mulch that can be put in the machine and mix fast will allow you to be more productive. Don't take their word for it ask for a demo. You may also want to join the Hydro Turf Planters Association if you are serious about getting in to hydroseeding. We can connect you with distributers of Finn, Bowie, Reinco, Turfmaker, and Easylawn. Its only $50 for a Associate membership if you are not in the industry and $100 for hydroseed contractors.