1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydroseeding per Acre??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by greenscapes inc., Jan 9, 2007.

1. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

Just wondering what you guys are charging per acre for hydroseeding. I have to opportunity to bid over 200 acres but I don't plan to because my tank is only 600 gallons. Just curious what you guys think the bid will go for. Thanks
  2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I get around 2,500 per acre but i have small tank also. I would say they will go to a cheaper way such as blowing straw and tacking it.
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

that will probably go in the 2 to 3 cents per sq. ft. range.. i dont see how straw and tack is cheaper its a 2 step which is labor consuming...
  4. EA Quinn

EA Quinn LawnSite Senior Member

2 to 3 cents? YIKES! your market is horrible. We competitively would be around .06 to .08 per square foot for that. it really depends who you are working. private stuff you can get more, but when its competitive you need to crunch the numbers.
  5. jeffscap

jeffscap LawnSite Member

2-3cents Don't make cents! I agree with EA Quinn :nono:
  6. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

a 30 acre job around here just went for 3.1 cents a square foot.. the next up was 3.6 cents. non prevailing rate..
  7. Mike33

I just notice in my area on bigger and scab jobs they blow straw. But im probably the only person in my area using 70-30 blend.
  8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

a 228 acre job that I can see from my front window went for .031 cents persqft. I prepared a bid for the job because it was so close to me i figured I could do it as cheap as or cheaper than anyone else. After crunching the numbers. I threw my bid in the trash and didnt even summit it. I found I could stay busy doing the smaller jobs and charge more for them than I could bid the big jobs for. One thing that did happen by my not bidding the job is it has tied up the big competitor for 4 years ( hiway right of ways) to where they cant bid the smaller jobs. I grossed more last year than the total amount of the bid for the 228 acres for the entire 4 years. Let the big guys have the big jobs, it keeps them out of your way on everything else.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

mudd how do u stay busy? not many people around here hydroseed all the contractors just seed and straw and homeowners wont pay for it even the guys that have the macnines dont get much use they seem to sit and rot.
  10. Mike33

I dont know what you do but if you install new yards dont give the option. Just hydro-seed and get-r-dun. I charge any where from 7-9 cents depending on size and where i can get water. I seed yards in 3 hours that would of took all day by hand and hope the wind dont blow hard for 10 days. I guess what im trying to say is you would of had to charge to do it by hand, still buying the same seed, fertlizer and labor to apply. wood blend mulch and lime for seeder isnt that much more expensive.