1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hydroseeding Washout; what should I do.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Venturewest, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

I need some good advice here. I just hydroseeded 5 acres in the last 2 weeks. All of it Bermuda grass in Oklahoma. It is definitely late for bermuda and it is just starting to germinate. All properties have irrigation which will help.

My problem is we just had a lifetime rain event 2 days ago. Between 4 to 6" in a few hours. My hydroseeding jobs look good from an erosion control standpoint but the visible mulch is gone. I don't know for sure how much seed I lost. By the time it germinates enough to tell, it will be too late in the season for a touch up. Should I just spray a thin mix over the top everywhere with maybe 1/2 seed rate. I can't afford to eat much more than that.

I did the jobs fairly inexpensively and specified no warrantee. I want to give a good product however.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

I wonder if this is covered under Home owners ins.Maybe they can claim it And pay you to do it again?Act of God, definetly not your fault.I know its a rough situation.I definetly wouldnt do it to break even.I think the customer is the one who should take the loss.Maybe have them cover materials and you do the labor?I dont hydro seed,so I dont know the time involved.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Beyond your control. Kind of like if I warranty sod, which I don't, and they don't water it.......I'm not replacing it.

Now if you hydro'd and they were calling for heavy rain that afternoon, then I'd say you owe them but thats not the case.
  4. Venturewest

I talked to the organization that I did one of the jobs for. They are willing to pay me to come back over with 1/2 seed and thin layer of hydromulch. The problem is I am just not sure how much seed and mulch we lost. Bermuda seed is so tiny and you only put down about 2 lbs per thousand. It is hard to find 2 lbs of anything spread over 1000 '2.

I think I am going to just go back over really thin. Hopefully that will help. I just dont want to make it hard for the previous bermuda to come through.

By the way I used paper cellulose. (about 150lbs per 6000'2 load.)

thanks for the replies
  5. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

Why not wait & see? I'm not familiar with bermuda though (located in NY).
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I would wait and see what it needed, then I would just correct exactly what it needed. But in the end I would ensure their satisfaction to keep my good name
  7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

personally I'd wait it out and maybe offer to overseed in rye or some winter grass (not familiar w/ OK practrices) but as late as it is to plant bermuda they and you might be better off to plant a cool season annual grass that will control erosion for the rest of the year and then hit the bermuda w/ some fert in the spring
  8. Venturewest

It is hard to find any information on Bermuda hydroseeding on lawnsite. I know they do it alot in Texas but it isnt very common in Oklahoma.

It takes 2 or 3 months to get a really good cover and it takes 3 weeks to germinate in good circumstances.

My current plan is to come over with a thin layer of hydroseed and 1/2 rate of seed. If I wait any longer it will just all winter kill.

The suggestion of rye would work, I did that last fall on 4 acres, but I would have to wait until Mid or end Sept, If it is really bad then I may have to, and then come back in May and do Bermuda again.

Anyone that has hydroseeded Bermuda with any success please feel free to chime in.
  9. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i've hydroseeded it but here but (w/o irrigation) it tends to be spotty the first year, the 2nd year w/ the usall 4 fert apps through the summer and some rain it'll fill in great.
  10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I dont do Bermuda, but, if the soil still looks good from an erosion control standpoint, I would venture to guess that the seeds are still there also. With hydroseeding, the color fades very fast from the mulch, especially if a rain event occurs. This makes it very hard to see on the soil, but that doesnt mean it isnt still there. If it makes you feel better, you can respray using a quarter rate of mulch, just for the color so you can see where you sprayed, and a half rate of seed. If you didnt use fert in the first application, you can add some with your thin mix just to help out the grass thats already germinated. If the soil isnt eroded awayed, I think you are just worrying about nothing.