Hydroseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by firstclasslawncareandplow, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Mr. Sparrow

Mr. Sparrow LawnSite Member
    from Ct

i get $500 for 1/2 acre. just for spraying an already prepped area.
    i just did an 18000 sqft area, topsoil, grade, and spray for $4500, easy site, open and flat

2. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to our site Sparrow.:waving: @ .045 per sq, Your WAAAAAY under the going rate.

3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with Planet. I can get by seeding acres for .045 a sqft but that is only because i am using two machines and working on volume. 18000 sqft lawns are another matter. Turf seed cost more and rates are increased, all this adds to cost. At .045 you might be making a false profit. Consider other costs, your truck, taxes, maintenance on your machine, fuel, etc, it all adds up. $500 might look like a big return on just material cost but in the long term you might actually be losing money.

4. Mr. Sparrow

from Ct

oh well, i guess the next job, the rates are going up
    what is the average cost?

5. Mr. Sparrow

from Ct

huh, where did you guys come up with .045? its $4 per square (18000/4500 = 4 per square) 500 for a half acre is about 45 cents a square foot, yes?
    the going rate for hydro seeding is about 10 cents a square

6. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Am I missing something here? I can see the $4500.00 for prep , soil, and hydro on 18Kft2. That's around .25 ft2 for everything...But $500.00 for a half acre? That's less than .045 cents a square foot. More like . 023 cents per ft2. I'm sure your materials cost was more than 2.3 cents per foot.

7. Planet Landscaping

Impact is correct, Sparrow check your math. 1/2 acre = 21250 sq. for $500 = leaving lots of money @ the table. My price is $1500. We are the Largest hydroseeder in the area (as you know I'm sure).

8. clarcon

clarcon LawnSite Member

Planet I just checked out your web site very nice. In looking at your section on watering I noticed that you offer it as a follow up service. What do you charge for this and what do you use (temporary irrigation system, your hydroseeder, customers hose)?

craig clark
    clark construction

9. Planet Landscaping

We use a variety of methods from Temp irrigation to Hauling in a 5500 gallon tanker truck. Price ranges from $550 to several thousand payup for larger Projects. No set rate, Every job is unique. Thanks for the kind words.:waving:

10. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

What would be a good seed choice in Kentucky's climate? After reading, what is turf type tall fescue, is that its self name? Would that or 31, and a mix with bluegrass and rye make a nice lawn? Also what is a good starter fertilizer? Thanks