Hydroseeding ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DoetschOutdoor, Aug 13, 2006.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Guys, I found out yesterday that my local rental shop has hydroseeders and I had a few questions...where can I purchase the mix that goes into the hydroseeder? Would my local feed and seed store carry this? My backyard gets alot of shade so would hydroseeding be a better option compared to simply aerating/overseeding? I figure that if I end up going with the hydroseeder I will do alot more research first and this is on my own yard so I dont have to worry about giving any guarantees to customers or anything. Lastly, how expensive is hydroseeding compared to renting an aerator or powerseeder and applying regular grass seed? Thanks in advance
  2. prn068

prn068 LawnSite Member

I buy everything at Lesco, but most sod farms in my area are stocking hydro seed supply now. www.i-hydroseeding.com is a useful site
  3. prn068

prn068 LawnSite Member

The answer to your second question you will have about .03-.05 invested. I can sell upwards of .10-.15 depending on size of job.
  4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I used to be in the hydroseeding business. It is all about timing to get good results with hydroseeding. It doesn't do as well in heavy rains, mulch floats or runs off. I personnally would rent a slit-seeder and slice in two different directions. You'll get great results as long as you water. As far as a business, the fall is the best time to seed period. If someone has irrigation you can get sod quality results in the spring and fall. Its very tough though in our area to grow grass in the summer. As far as a Guarantee I wouldn't unless they have an irrigation system, and charge enough that you can go back and overseed it. Don't reseed it with hydromulch it is too expensive and it was developed for soil erosion and if a customer has a decent stand then just broadcast it.