hydroseeding

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by mggreen, Mar 1, 2008.

1. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

Want to get a hydroseeding unit. Am thinking 100gal unit will be enough since I will be doing it part time. Will I fine out the hard way it's to small.

2. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I would say a 100 gal unit would be under sized but there could be a niche market doing patch work for other hydro seeding contractors. I have a 300 gal unit and I only get 3500 sqft max out of a full tank. It depends on what your looking to do with the machine. If your looking to do repairs to lawns after septic installation you might be able to get by but it would be tough. I think the smallest size I would go is 300 gal to start. you have to figure fully loaded 100 gallons x 8.18 lbs per gallon plus addition weight of frame and motor. I don't know what brand your looking at but your probably over 1,000 lbs easy. Which isn't too bad if you have a 3/4 and up. It might not seem like alot of weight but when its back their slozhing behind you everytime you brake and accelerate, it is. I had my unit mounted to a trailer for a while until I purchased a 1 ton dump. I hope this helped

3. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 500 gal Finn and can get about 5500-6000 if I stretch it. I find that it is a little undersized at times.

What is your intentions witht he unit. patch work like said earlier or new lawn installs? Whats the average size lawn in your area??

not in SW RI are ya?

4. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

I would love to start off with a 300gal + machine but I can't afford at this point. I plan on doing as much of an area as the machine can handle. I am in the Westerly Ri area. I noticed your in New London, how busy do you get and are you ever looking for any part time help in case I can't afford a machine.

5. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

I would love to start off with a 300gal + machine but I can't afford at this point. I plan on doing as much of an area as the machine can handle. I am in the Westerly Ri area. I noticed your in New London, how busy do you get and are you ever looking for any part time help in case I can't afford a machine.

6. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

You might want to check out this forum. Its from IAHP.
    http://www.hydroseeding.org/forum/
    They are always listing used machines for sale on this forum. Its strickly for hydro seeding.
    I purchased my machine 8 or so years old for 2,000. From a local guy in coventry. You might be able to find a used machine at a good price. I mean the new 100 gal that turbo turf sells goes for 1,900. you could probably get a used 300 gal for 2,000 - 2,500. Good luck.

7. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

mggreen, I am not that busy yet, working on it. I would be interested in some sub work and you could help me on your jobs. You could then see if your area will support enough work for you to go out and purchase your own. Just something to think about.

I market my hydroseeding to contractors who can go in and prep the area first and then I will just come in and do the spraying. i wish I could do both but can't afford the big machinery yet.

8. mggreen

mggreen LawnSite Member
    from RI

tcalb2 thanks for the info I will definetely check that out, turbo turf has also put me on a list for anything used coming in.

FIREMAN Q, that might work out. I also have a ford backhoe and a john deere with a box blade plus a dump truck. I just need to get mobile. I would like to bring in dirt, level and then hydroseed. Sounds like that is the way your heading.

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i do a lot of hydro seed and i rent the machine for $150 a day, i suggest you try that for awhile. i used a 100 gallon a few times, trust me its a waste.

10. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I get to talk to a lot of people and I will give you my two cents worth and try to make it totally unbiased. I have seen quite a few guys start in with a 100 gallon machine.

With someone doing landscape installs I usually like to see them start with at least a 300 gallon unit. I think we all have a lot more things on our wish list than we can afford and starting with a 100 gallon unit would let you get a start in hydroseeding and you can always trade it in on a bigger unit without losing much. I know of several guys up your way who have done that. One is currently the hydroseeding Association president. He started in with a 100 and has now traded up twice and uses a 500 gallon unit, the hybrid if I recall correctly. Another in southern Maine has traded 3 times and gone from the 100 to a 300 to a 500 to a 1000.

My suggestions would be to get a nurse tank. It will speed you up a lot if you don't have to wait for water. If you avoid the really big jobs and do front lawns or small and medium lawns you will spend more time doing it than you would with a bigger machine but you will still make more than enough money to make it worth while and it will let you get started.

Renting a machine might be another option you could think about. With small jobs the economics would be if you get a used 100 and use it a year or two and trade it back on a bigger one the cost of ownership would probably not be much more than $ 250.00. You can balance that off in your own mind for value. The plus side is you could own the unit for a few years for less than two days rental. The other side of the coin is that you could work faster with the rental. On a small job the time you loose going to and from the rental yard could wipe out the time savings in a faster machine. On a big job that would not be the case.

One thing that might be an option would be get what jobs you can. If it is a job you can do with the 100 do it. If you get a job that is 2 or 3 acres rent a machine for that job.

I don't know if this helped any. You have a lot of good advice in this thread and I agree that the bigger the machine the better. Water is always one of the important things in hydro seeding. A nurse tank can make it workable for you and they are cheap.