Hydroseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Acute Cut, Jul 8, 2000.

1. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

I have been seeing alot about hydroseeding. You know, that green paste stuff they put on lawns to get em green. It SEEMS like a gold mine. I dont see too much of it up here. What is yalls opinion? I am sure some ppl on here MUST be doing it. 2000 to 5000 a day seems like the golden goose to me. I am looking at all sorts of sites for hydro seeders and can get a 300 gallon one for like 4K. What do you think? Anyone against it? Any reason i shuold rethink or any angles i am NOT thinking of? What is the season for that? I am just lookng for any and ALL comments on this. THnks for the time gents.

2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I think theres a page at turfquip.com that tells some about hydroseeding. I hear its great money also, but there is some investment, so I would line some jobs up before buying a unit! Get with a builder and see if he will sub your services on new yards.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti

3. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Would a hydro seeder work well for filling in a lawn too, I have a few properties that are really thin? I have got most of them talked into overseeding this Fall but was wondering if hydro seeding would do a better job.

4. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

As much as i have read lately, i do believe taht hydroseeding would be ideal for your lawns.

5. Alan

Alan Member

I hydroseed, and I think that 2-5,000 a day is a bit optomisitc. But,, it's very easy for one man to do in excess of $1,000 daily with the right setup. Main thing it to have access to LOTS of water. Figure 100 gal/1,000 sf. I've only got a small seeder, but I nurse it from a 1,000 gal tank in the truck. I can average about 4,000 sf/hr with only a 200 gal seeder. My seeder is homemade and I used ideas from several different brands of commercial units. You have a choice of either mechanical or fluid jet agitation. Mine is jet agitated, but with big jets, which seems to be the key to the whole system. A seeder with small jets just takes forever to mix and that is where your time goes to hell, other than chasing water. I think the best commercial jet machine is Turbo-Turf, made in PA. I think they have a site, www.turboturf.com but I'm not sure about that. Overseeding works fine with hydro, just keep your nozzle close and really jet the slurry into the existing grass. Hydro goes for around $.05/ft around here, no idea what it goes for in your area, but it IS a good revenue generator.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Alan

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I seen a company doing lawns around a row of townhouses yesterday. They had a huge tank set on the pavement full of water to use for a nurse tank. Probally what they did was drop off the big plastic tank the day before and left a hose in it to fill it, then it would be full by the next day. I guess for big jobs like that you could get someone with a water truck to keep it full. I'm going to look closer into hydro seeding for next year, should be a good extra income job.

7. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

Fire hydrants are the best way to fill the tank. I have an account set up with local water dept. Usually the hydrants are everywhere. Profit is great in this business. Just keep in mind that the season is very short. Six months here in the South for the most part.I bought a turbo turf 750 gal. I wouldn't go any smaller for what I am doing. Most lawns here will go 10-20,000 sq ft. I am fairly happy with my machine but I will probably buy a mechanically agitated machine in a few years. Mechanical machines offer more options as far a mulch is concerned. I bought my seeder in January. I am still learning how to better the germination rates. Wish there were classes.

8. Alan

Alan Member

Earthworks, have you tried any of the erosion control mulches or BFM products in your Turbo-turf yet? Nobody up here stocks it and I want to try mixing them in my machine which is patterned very closely after a TT unit. Why such a short season down south? I'd think you could spray almsot year round.

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Earthworks, <br>The best germanation comes with placeing seed in the ground between 1/4&quot; and 1/2&quot; then compacting it so it has frim ground contact.<br>Seeding rate for us up north are higher for hydroseeding. We use 300 to 400 pounds per acre, for seeding with a Brillion seeder we drop to 250 pounds per acre. If you are doing slopes suggest you use a higher rate than that. The hard part of hydro seeding is seed dispersal in your mulch you can't get even seeding. We use it on slopes but will seed with a Brillion seeder if we can put a trator on the slope and then mulch it with the hydro mulch .<p>----------<br>paul<br>

10. EarthWorks

EarthWorks LawnSite Member

I have not tried anything other than paper mulch and ec 3000 tack in my machine. I would like to though. Reason for the short season is we seed warm season grasses. soil temps have to be high for them to germinate. Also they must have time to establish themselves before winter dormancy. local extension office does not recomend seeding after mid July. I do not recomend it after mid august. Depends on particular yard and how it is set up. We do not use fescue except for winter overseeding. For the most part it will not survive our summers. Average lbs per acre with bermuda seed is 16-24.If anybody has shot wood/paper mulch or a matrix through their turbo turf seeder let us know how it worked.