Hydroseeding?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by One Degree, Feb 4, 2004.

1. One Degree

One Degree LawnSite Member

I was curious what contractors were getting for Hydroseeding? Is it priced by the sq. ft. or by the job. I was also wanting to know if it is very profitable? Any comments would be grateful.

2. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi OneDegree,

The range of prices for hydro seeding are for roadside and erosion control projects anywhere from 2 to 4 cents per square foot with 3 being about typical.

For residential and commercial the range would be 4 cents to 12 cents. Many people are able to get more. The hightest I have ever heard of was one guy in the Cayman Islands that gets 99 cents per foot. When I look out at the snow and ice, I wonder if the guy in the Cayman islands needs some competion. Probably 6 to 10 cents would be average. There was a discussion not long ago about this and the prices were very different. It seems like you can get about what you want to get in most areas.

Is it profitable? Well the demand is good and seems to keep growing. It is a nice way to plant grass. Your material cost will range from 1.5 cents to 3 cents per square foot. Of course you have travel time, maintenance, advertising and etc. Take your average lawn size and figure your costs at a high of 3 cents and figure your charge at 8 or 10 cents and see what you get.

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

For "spray ready" we get between .13-.20 sqft. here:D

4. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Just got off the phone with a guy and gave him an estimate of between $3,920.40 and $4,356.00 to hydro an acre of residential, rocky/clay ground and he said that I was higher than most of the people he was checking with......?????? I gave the estimate of between .09 and .10 cents a sq/ft........got me, we'll see if he wants me to do it, hopefully I get the job, but with my luck, I won't.

Chris

5. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

Plus I forgot to add, (and you guys already know this) Hydroseeding machines are extremely outrageous in price, I gotta make it back somehow! :D

Chris

6. Dodgemania

Dodgemania LawnSite Member

What is a hydroseeder, explain how it works.

7. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

A hydroseeding machine is a device that mixes seed, fertilizer,water, and sometimes mulch, and other ingredients to form a slurry to be used for seeding purposes. The mixing action can be achieved by means of mechanical ,(paddles rotating inside the machine), or by jet, ( the recirculating of water inside the tank), to blend all the ingredients together.
    There are advantages and disadvantges to both types of machines. The mechanical agitated machines can generaly mix heaver mulch and material rates than the jet agitated ones. Drawbacks include, purchase price, empty weight, and maintenance issues such as rusting, and wearing out of moving parts. Jet machines have few moving parts, are less expensive and easier to maintain. They are also usually made with plastic tanks so rusting isnt an issue. Drawbacks would include using lower mulch rates, and their lower ability to use certain types of mulches. Excellent results can be achieved with either type of machine.

8. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Well said indeed, Muddstopper!!:D

9. Bailey

Bailey LawnSite Member

I found all the info I needed on www.turfmaker.com you will find all your answers

10. Turboguy

Turboguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I think for some informative and unbiased info some of the assocaitions are good sources such as.

Interanational Assoc of Hydroseeding Professionals at www.hydroseeding.org

Hydro Turf Planters Assoiciation at www.htpa.org

International Erosion Control Assn at www.IECA.org