Hydrostatic drive problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SunSwept, Jul 3, 2005.

1. SunSwept

SunSwept LawnSite Member

To all of those who have the gift of being able to troubleshoot and fix most anything:

My father-in-law has a Home Depot John Deere L130 with hydrostatic drive. As of today, hills that it would climb ... it no long does climb. Loud noise (humming, pumping, almost a grinding) can be heard.

Looking through the owner's manual it says that it is a sealed unit and should be serviced. Looking through the internet, sounds like it might be low on oil.

Can anyone tell me what could be going on and how to fix? If it HAS to go into the shop, any WAGS (not SWAGS) on what it might cost to fix it?

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

She's probably a goner....

The cost of a replacement transaxle makes those mowers disposable.
    It would probably be best if he stepped up to a John Deere garden tractor with a heavy duty transaxle.
    By that I mean a GT or GX.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

When our hydro drive belts fail I always get scared that a trans is failing, then relieved that its just a belt.

KB

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

it is probally gone the replacement part without labor is high you are forced to buy new.

5. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sunswept, does this mower have a traction belt on it? If I remember correctly my JD Sabre had one (earlier version of yours) and right before it broke it would do the same thing as yours would, not climb hills, humming, when it finally broke I think it cost me around 40 bucks to fix. My memory may be wrong but I think thats what it was. Look right under the frame, right above the deck belt and see if there is a LONG belt that runs from the back of the mower to the front and goes around a pulley on the bottom of the engine. BTW, the JD Sabre was a POS! John Deere should be ashamed of themselves for even putting their name on it!

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Sunswept, does the mower do ok on level ground? Mine would still barley move even on level ground and would not even attempt a hill. The more I sit here and think about it the more Im positive thats what it was. I remember pushing that POS all the way back to the trailor when it broke and it was a long way!