Hydrostatic Oil or Motor Oil

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by laborador, Aug 10, 2005.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Have a used Country Clipper zeton brat. I do not have a manual, so that is why I am asking this question. I am low on Hydostatic oil, someone told me to put motor oil in it and another person told me to put hydro fluid in it. Does any one know for sure which it is and if it is motor oil, which weight. Thanks for any replies

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry I am not familiar with your model mower I have only ever seen one Country Clipper and it was still on the trailer but most hydro systems use 20w50 motor oil as their hydro fluid there are some that suggest mobile one oil 15w40.

3. laborador

Thanks for your response. Does it matter what weight and since I do not know what is in the container will it hurt it to mix different kind of weight or oil. I assume there is no such thing as Hydro Oil.

4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

DO NOTput in oil if you do not know what is SUPPOSED to be in there. I would e-mail country clipper, or call them (quickest way) and ask what you should put in. exmarks run most hydro gear pumps run on mobil 1 15w-50 (red or gold cap I believe). BUT, you may have a different system. you can shred your whole drive system with the wrong oil, I have seen it happen. there is such a thing as hydraulic oil, but it is usually for brake cylinders and the like.

5. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

The Brat uses 20W-50 Motor Oil. If you really want to splurge and spend the extra $$ you can use the synthetic (Mobil One types) 15W-50 Motor Oil. Won't hurt anything to mix these two types of oil.

I would call Country Clipper and see if they would send you a owner's manual, they probably will.

6. laborador

Thanks for your help, I went ahead and put 10w 30 mobile synthetic in there. I really learned something here. I thought that hydraulic fluid went in there not motor oil. Is changing the oil like changer the oil to the motor or is like changing fluid in brakes, where you have to bleed them.

7. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

On the brat, just drain the oil from the hydro tank. that will get most of the oil changed and should be o.k. gets most of the oil changed. No bleeding necessary then.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

NEVER put oil in a pump unless you know what type to use. Just had a two Walkers in , in the last few weeks. The pumps are meant to use ONLY Mobile ONE 15W-50 synthetic. One owner put in 10W-30 and wonder why it would not pull and one owner out if heavy JD type hydro fluid. So ALWAYS use the right oil or fluid.

9. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

so did he shred his pumps completely on the walkers? or did he not run it enough to damage it?

the owner of the exmark dealership put 30w in to his hydro pumps, and his mower just kept getting slower and slower..... I got ahold of one of 'em and took it apart. very nasty inside. I'm sure he lost his wheel motors too, because of all the contamination that must have flowed through the line.

10. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

The one with the 10W-30 was OK after I change the fluid. The one with the JD "syrup" were trashed. Trying to save a few dollars and ended up wasting close to $800 dollars. Will people never learn?