1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hypothetical for solo's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Jan 7, 2013.

1. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Its like this, I do a leaf job for a customer once a year, done it for 5 years now. It took the home woner literally his weeks vacation to do it. It takes me 2 hours, hes happy to pay me 150$.

Ive done some odd stuff in the off season for customers by the hour, only because I know the people and really have know idea the job will take.

2. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly right on one point and wrong another. People do think 40$ an hour is high for leaf clean up work. This why I mainly do leaf cleanups for lawn customers only. Spot on, Larry.

Emergency room surgeons make alot more than $50 an hour.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If I was still using a rake for leaves, like when I started, I would not be able to charge $5/hr and still have a reasonable price... Every time I get a larger blower, the price could actually go down a little bit andit could go even faster if I had a sensible way of loading the truck... :)

The guy that said you're paid for efficiency by use of top notch equipment, not solely by time, has it exactly right...

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

hey if you can get that kind of money then more power to you. it's not about being lazy it's about being smart. i don't only work 4hrs a day. i'm not gonna spend more than 4hrs and one job per day. the biggest yard i have is 3 acres and i'm done in 2 1/2 hrs. i don't need anything bigger than that solo.

around here noone would pay anything near that price or $1800. the biggest paying leaf job i got was $125 here. it took 2 1/2 hrs. that's all people are willing to pay here. most of them just let it go and don't even get leaf cleanup where i live.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know any 'facts' about this situation but it could possibly be considered a crime for writing a bad check. Is 400 dollars worth the trouble of fighting it? Probably not. You might try using it as leverage to recoup some of the money. 200 bucks is better than 0.

Not to be harsh, but common sense should have taken over and given them some type of ball park range before you started. Many people don't have 400 dollars in their checking account for an extraneous expense like leaf cleanup.

When taking on a new customer and the has the potential to go over 200 dollars, you should give them a heads to see if they even have the money.

6. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

my hourly rate is $35 per man hour.

as for handling the situation I would sent a letter snail mail informing them they have 14 days from the date of the letter to send payment or I reserve the right to use lawyers, liens, small claims court or collection agencies to collect any unpaid balances.

then I would sit back and go about my business.

7. 94gt331

94gt331 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male

Wow she only thought the bill would be $30 what a dumb b^^^h. Your screwed on that one I think. Sounds like white trash to me. I would have given a estimate to her first. I give estimates to all new customers before a job starts. Normal maint. customers of mine don't even ask me for a price on there cleanups anymore which is nice because they know I'm fair with them every year. And I get cleanups like you on a constant basis in the fall my crew of 3 guys does about 2 big cleanups a day, ton's of leaves around my area. Good luck to you on getting your money, let us know how you make out.

8. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Small claims court, you should have a cut and dried case if they didn't ask for an estimate. They also cannot get away with writing you a ck and then stopping payment on it....the judge will frown heavily at that. As long as your pricing is anywhere around reasonable, I think you've got an "open and shut" case.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

From what we read, it sounds that way. Despite getting a favorable ruling from the "open and shut case," the OP may never get paid. A favorable ruling is only that -- collections is beyond that, outside the judge's ruling. I think that is where the case now resides -- not being able to collect.

10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

When they get paid. They may charge much more than $50/hr, but so much of the ER work is for non-payers, the doc may get nothing. Supplying the service is part of the obligation of the hospital.

... sorry, not to derail the thread, .... carry on.