Hypothetical machine borrowing question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Tigerotor77W, Dec 25, 2009.

?

Do you leave the keys in your machines?

1. Yes

15.2%
  2. No

84.8%
  1. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Note that the poll question is different!

Suppose you live in an area where the snow plow crews aren't very good (don't plow for days after a storm due to urgencies elsewhere) but people who don't own SUVs (and REAL SUVs -- not Kia or Hyundai caruvs) are getting stuck because of how bad snow has drifted. There is an SSL parked at a construction site (new development) and its owner, whom you don't know, has left a key in it. You know how to run SSLs and would gladly leave money for fuel.

Would you borrow the machine to help clear the subdivision a little bit?

2. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

I leave the keys in all my stuff, but I'd never take somebody elses stuff without asking.

3. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Hell no, let them do it, if they are too lazy to have a dude near by to run it, phone the company that owns it and complain.

That's the Canadian way.

4. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

No. I'd watch my neightbors fail to get out thier driveway.:laugh:

5. Dieselnut

Dieselnut LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not leave the keys in anything. Had a buddy that left the key under the floormat of his tractor. Next day it was about a mile away from where he left it 100% destroyed.

Also I would not dare touch a machine without premission of someone's who I dont know or even someone who I know. How would you like it if you left the keys in your car,truck or machine and someone you do not know used it. I for one would be pissed. I would have the state and county PD there that instant taking prints off it to put that low life SOB who used my machine in the slammer where he belongs in a nice cell with big pinkey or bubba. Not the right thing to do. Now how would you feel if you did any damage to it?

If you ask the guy and he says yes go for it and clear the snow.

6. mudmaker

mudmaker LawnSite Member

I wouldn't use it unless I had talked to the owner and recieved permission. I never leave keys in my machines unless they are in a secure location. I know it is kind of useless from a security standpoint as all it takes is a trip to a dealer to get a key.

7. lx665

lx665 LawnSite Member

If you get caught using the machine you could be locked up...its call stealing! What is the different from using a machine without permission and joy riding in a car that had the keys left in the...do you get the point?

John

8. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

Now I suppose the exception would be if it was a true emergency. If I was deep in the woods, my truck was stuck in the ditch, and my choice was to either hike 8 miles to cell phone reception or hike 2 miles to a log landing and borrow the dozer to get my truck out. Chances are I'd take the dozer.

Although I'd be sweating bullets the whole time praying a logger doesn't catch me on the machine.

9. WillieWonka1850

WillieWonka1850 LawnSite Fanatic

Um, ask for permission! I don't want some angry owner coming after me! Possibly with a gun!

No offense, John :laugh:

10. Dieselnut

Dieselnut LawnSite Bronze Member

If that logger did see you boy you better pray he frogot his glasses so he cant see you to blow your brains appart for stealing his equipment.
    :laugh::laugh::laugh: