Hypothetical question?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Eden Lights, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Eden Lights

Eden Lights LawnSite Senior Member

Would you buy your equipment local if your supplier had average prices and provided excellent design service, licensed electrical support, free delivery, excellent training, onsite trouble shooting service, and had experience with automated controls and provided the support and sales of said controls? Would you switch from your current supplier? What products would you have to have?

2. pete scalia

pete scalia LawnSite Senior Member

Do business local. Help the local economy. That's all there is to it.

3. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Eddie,
    when you say buy it local, obviously you mean local dist. right? The only thing mine gives me is average prices, free delivery and that's about it. They are great guys, but lighting gets put on the back burner in this store because of irrigation. They don't have stocked shelves with some of the basics you might need to grab in a pinch, ie.. louvers, lenses, bulbs, basic fixtures and trannys. If I could buy direct from the factory, (which I may be able to, have never tried), I probably would to save $ from the middle man who doesn't really do much other than hold it in his warehouse for a day or two until I pick it up.

4. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

Dat Be a Loaded Question. My prices are already around the higher average, I don't need design service, I have an electrician on payroll......what else do I need except the automated control stuff. I might pay a salary to an automated control guy, but not a premium.

5. Eden Lights

That's one No.

6. Eden Lights

This would be a lighting only dist. for the local guys. Clients would be mostly Landscapers and Irrigaition guys. These guys are already paying $5-$10 more per fixture than you guys with no support really.

7. Eden Lights

Throw in Co-op advertising program.

8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Eddie, are you planning to open a distribution arm? If so, give John Higo a call at TC Lighting here in Ontario. He will give you some great insight into how to do it really well.

I already enjoy most of what you are asking about. Great stock levels, Great Service, a Vast understanding of the products, and systems available and a commitment to the LV outdoor lighting industry. When I find a new line or new product that I want stocked I can just make the call and He will take care of it.

I don't need a design service (Lots of the manufacturers offer this if the "contractor" needs it) and I already have a few EC's lined up locally who deal with all my line voltage needs.

Enjoy.

9. Eden Lights

Keith you are correct about the one stop shop idea. I am thinking about the power of sales, I can only sale so many fixtures in a day if I have to install them all. I really don't want to put another truck on the road.

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Eddie, you are thinking about it all wrong my friend. It has nothing to do with how many fixtures you can install in a day. It has everything to do with how much art you can create in a day and how much you can command for that art.

Do not be a fixture salesman... there will always be others who can do that better faster cheaper etc. Instead focus on developing your own style, and a signature style, and then finding the clients who are willing to pay for you to do your magic.

Leave the volume for the distributors.... If your passion is truly in lighting design and instalations then let it shine brother! And don't be afraid to charge appropriately for your craft.

Enjoy.