1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hypro Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by progressive lawn care, Mar 10, 2008.

1. progressive lawn care

progressive lawn care LawnSite Member

I just bought a lesco 200 gallon skid sprayer with a d-30 pump and a 5 hp briggs. It is about 10 years old. I replaced all the diaphragms and o-rings and I still can't get 2 gallons a minute out of the sprayer. 100 psi is all I can get.
  2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you burp the air from underneath the diaphragms when you replaced them? If you did, there should be no problem with the pump. If the pump is all right then it the next thing would be the regulator. In fact, that's really what it sounds like. Some regulators can be rebuilt. Depending on what kind is on there it either needs to be rebuilt or replaced. good luck
  3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

check the regulator or the pressure release valve. it has a handle that has several locking steps on it it should be in the down position for pressure. if you take it apart ( two bolts do each one a little at a time as the is a big spring inside and you do not what to break an ear off the top section) there is a small round rubber part that wears out we call them hockey pucks do a search for the break down or private message me w/ your email and i will try to get it for you
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

The D 30 has 4 check valves that stop the pump from back flowing. You may need to replace those check valves. It only takes a small leak in the check valves to kill the pressure and volume.
  5. ToniDavies

ToniDavies LawnSite Member

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Make sure the diaphrams are not put in backwards, and make sure they are carefully"seated". Otherwise......you're suckin' air somewhere in the lines.....crack in the fittings on either side of the tank wall, or strainer is not seated. These have been our most common culprits. Oh yes....that little black rubber bladder -- it can get cracks in it. My 2 cents worth.:)
  7. bj22

bj22 LawnSite Member
    from ny

my 2 cents

I know this sounds stupid but did you put oil in it.
    Use straight 30 weight as the detergents tend to wear down the diaphrams, good luck

Have had my (2) d 30s for 14 years, i've been through pretty much every repair on them.
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Take a look at how much backflow you are getting into the tank. If most of the flow (say 6 gallons per minute) is going back to the bypass and into the tank, the regulator is the problem.

If not, I agree with Ric. Those four poppit valves can be removed. Unscrew1.5 inch black plastic nuts from the top. There are two springs, two valve seats and two dime-like stainless steel wafers in each of the four valves. Make sure they are free to move and not too damaged or stuck or clogged with foreign matter. They cost about 12 to fifteen dollars each. From your description--I would say at least two are not working.
  9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I know it's a simple thing, but there is a ball valve going each way coming out of the regulator. One goes to the tank (return/agitation), and one goes to the reel. The one that goes to the tank needs to be closed very slowly to build pressure. NOT all the way, you'll blow a hose off, just keep tweaking it to get the pressure you want. Otherwise a majority of what you are pumping is going back into the tank. At least that's the way mine are set up. Like I said, might be a simple fix. I would also add that every post thus far is also a possibility.
  10. progressive lawn care

progressive lawn care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get the regulator apart and found I might have a part missing. It looks like I am missing something between the spring and the round plastic thing on the end of the stem. I'm going to order a rebuild kit and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks again.