1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hyrdos vs. Belts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAVEY PROS, Jun 14, 2006.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Just wondering - whats are the pros and cons for hydros vs. belt driven mowers? I considering buying a 36' walker model mw and it's a hydro. Anything I should look for? Thanks

Enjoy what you have - before you have what you want.
  2. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

The only, and I mean ONLY advantage that I know of with a belt over a hydro is price.

I will never own another belt drive again. Just my .02:)

Check for leaks around pumps, make sure they are responsive and that it gets up to speed pretty much right away.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If you buy a T-bar Toro, you don't need a hydro and all your concerns will disappear.

DAVEY PROS LawnSite Member

Would any of you reccomend the Walker?
    To tell it straight forward this will be the first mid sized walk behinde we will be purchasing for our business - now that we are cutting more grass and need a bigger mower. I just really don't want to buy anything I will regret.

Looking at a Toro (t-bar) or a walker mw. Both 36' with floating decks.
  5. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

You are so far off that your entire reply should be deleted by a moderator for its misinformation. Hydro's have TRUE power reverse, maintain a consistent ground speed on downhill slopes (where a belt will start to freewheel and run away requiring brakes to be applied), and hydros can turn in place (zero turn) making them easier to manuever in tight areas. Hydro's do not slip when they are wet, meaning increased production. Hydro's also let you vary your ground speed indefinitely, meaning you can get just the right speed. Belt drive's will either be going to slow or too fast for conditions because the gear will never be "just right". Your T-Bar is NOT a hydro and will never replace a hydro.

Im with PJ Diesel, the only thing belts have is price. Get the Hydro.

6. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

As the owner of a Toro T-bar 44" floating belt drive, I couldn't disagree with you more. Cut after it's been raining three days straight, get those belts wet a little bit and try to track straight or (God forbid) go up a steep hill.

I'll never buy another belt drive mower but will more than likely keep this one when I go to a bigger w/b or a 52/23 stander, simply because it's paid for and the size of the deck is truely perfect for residentials. I've found that if the gate is too small to get my 44" through... it's not going to be worth my time anyway and cost effective for me to mow it to the customer because I charge minimum $15 more to cut a fenced yard.
  7. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

mower for less stated it PREFECTLY.... GET THE HYDRO
  8. PJDiesel

PJDiesel LawnSite Member

I was challenged here just yesterday for stating that my 36 Ex Mark belt drive was a POS in wet grass. I would have to push the thing up grades.....;)

Like I said, never again. I am not familiar with a "T-Bar" but if it is belt/gear driven it is inferior to my Turf Tracer.
  9. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

The fact that a mower has t-bar controls has absolutely nothing to do with making a belt drive as good or better than a hydro...

That's like saying my steering wheel in my Ford is perfectly round so the transmission is better than the Allison in the Chevy :rolleyes:
  10. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i tried a couple belt drive wb's ( both 48'' decks) before i bought my viking. please note i only use my wb for areas i can't get to with my Walker for example steep slopes around ponds,ditches etc. the Gravely i tried would not hold a side hill to save it's life and the toro wasn't much better. once i tried the hydro what a difference.