I’d never buy another Stihl ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Likestomow, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have had trouble with all three Stihl power tools I've owned.

First the 017 chain saw has to have a new carb after about a year of very infrequent use.

Second was the stick edger... same thing, it had to have a new carb. These both were fixed under warranty. This also was used infrequently, and both had Opti-2 oil mixed with the gas their entire lives. This unit was also very hard to start.

Now my 2 year, 4 month old FS-85 trimmer is acting the same way as the other two. I know it will also need a new carb, but no warranty help this time. This thing looks like it’s new, but it’ll probably take $100 to fix it.

Everyone here can sing the praises of Stihl all you want, but from my experiences they are trouble. Apparently Stihl is cutting corners with cheap carbs hoping they will last to the end of the warranty period.

Now I’ve been buying Echos, Husqvarnas, and Kawasakis, and they are far more long-lasting and better performers.

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I am the opposite as I have had only one problem with a five year old back pack blower. All my other handhels work excellent. It cost me $124 to fix and rebuild the back pack and now runs like new. Cheaper than $400 for a new one.

3. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

what exactly is the problem your having.i have 029 farmboss saw and that thing works great coming up on 5 years now without bit of trouble,except i just cant keep the chain sharp..hehe

4. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:blob3: likestomow, i hear ya bro, i had 2 stick edgers and they were very hard to start, i liked the way they were made but 8-10 pulls to start, i've never had difficulty startin 2 cycle until i bought those 2.

5. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a Stihl 021 chainsaw (bottom of the line) about 3 years ago. Always had trouble starting it (but could partly be that I was new to using 2-cycle tools). Soon after got an Echo CS-3000 (also bottom of the line) - have used it hundreds of times - always starts on first pull. Don't have any other Stihl tools but I sure don't use that chainsaw. My Honda mowers and trimmer also start first time every time. Same with the Echo blower.

6. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have the same hard to start problem with my new Stihl 420C Magnum backpack blower. Had it back to the dealer, squat....

I am the same I will not buy a Stihl product again.

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I am totally the opposite, never had a problem with any of my Stihls...now Shindaiwa, that is a different story

8. ckfromba

ckfromba LawnSite Member

Make sure it really is the carbs and not the "epa required" exhaust port. Once the little screens gets clogged up it will not run and it will act like it is a carb problem. You have to take a little screwdriver and push it in and break the screen open. Otherwise you can keep replacing the screen if this happens to be the problem. I have had to do this on all of my Stihl products.

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

alot of husqvarna products use kawasaki engines

10. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

No problems with Stihl trimmer or bp blower. (That is once I learned the starting regime...)