I’m going to vent a little. I’m sure everyone here gets frustrated.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnMower, Apr 22, 2005.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Some guys in this business have the secret. One guy in particular in my town has it. He and I started out about the same time 7 years ago. I'm still solo with the occasional hand. This other guy has a conglomerate land scaping company. Hes about 30 years old and is kind of a surfer dude type of guy, so you would never expect it.

His company has gotten so big that the neighbors in a commercial part of town are complaining to the town counsel. Hes got 280 lawns and charges about $28 a lawn weather its big or small and he picks the grass up. He has a tree service and he has more business then the guys who have been doing it for years. He has at least six 10 ton trucks, plus front end loaders and backos. I think he has 3 or four crews out every day. He has about 20 guys working for him. He also now has a nursery shop.

Man......this guy grows fast. Every one is talking about him.

Today put the icing on the cake. I had to laugh out loud. A big 10 wheel Mack dump truck goes buy . Wouldn't you know it? It has the name of this guys company on the side.

I guess when your competitive, like I can be, it goes up your butt sideways. What is this guys secret?

2. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

Why are the neighbors complaining to the town council?

3. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The secret is that he wants it more than you do.

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Because he has mountains of mulch and all the trucks and equipment are down behind the nursery shop. The place used to be an office, and I don't think there was much behind the shop before. But oh boy should you see it now.

5. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I told him the "BIG SECRET". Im auctioning off the "BIG SECRET" right now.
    Starting bid is at $1,000 USD. payup

DO I HEAR $2,000 :waving:

6. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to say that the secret is that this guy spends a ton of money on advertising. It's all about marketing.

Dave

7. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

And remember, just because a company gets big doesn't mean it is that much more profitable. He has a lot of business but he has a lot of bills to pay too and that means a lot of stress.

Dave

8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Yes, and he's not sitting around worrying how many trucks or weedeaters the other "pro's" have.

9. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

He probably has a lot of debt which aint so bad if you are doing the business to cover it. I will mention something a guy said to me once. This guy was always crazy over big trucks, especally big dump trucks. He bought a new Pickup truck one week and it worried him sick. He said, Bill, for what I paid for this fancy truck I could have bought a dumptruck. This pickup is only going to cost me money from now on and a dumpturck could make me money. He repeated that story several times over the next few weeks and then one day I saw him driving an older model chevy truck. I asked him what happened to his new truck and he said Sold it and bought me a dumptruck. He now has several large tri and quad axle dumptrucks and a several million dollar contract hualing gravel for the state.

This guy chose a direction he wanted to take and then went full speed ahead. I suspect thats what your guy is trying to do.

Dreams lead to Desire, Desire leads to a Decisions, Decisions lead to Directions, those Directions lead to a Destination. If you wish to grow a company that size, its time to quit dreaming and start deciding what direction you are going to take to get to that destination.

10. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

The main difference-his name is out there!
    Advertise!